Nanotyrannus or Dakotaraptor?

JoeS

Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to collecting =) I recently obtained this nice tooth labeled as Dromaeosaur sp. premax. tooth - I would like to get a more refined ID if possible. It was found in the Hell Creek Fm., Powder River Co., Montana and measures 15/16". Denticle count per 5mm is distal 18, mesial 24 (not many denticles visible mesial though). I found a thread here stating it is possible to distinguish Nanotyrannus from Dakotaraptor teeth by the shape of the denticles - however I find this very hard as rookie. Any help is appreciated!lateral_2.thumb.JPG.54efdf75746c51965239a13ea04dea09.JPGlateral_4.thumb.JPG.74704f906cc6f5729662330b95ecb9de.JPG5bcbefde47e06_distaldenticles_zoom.thumb.JPG.91a64dbf1b884a89858dbe6b3a38783a.JPG5bcbefdd590bc_distalcrosssection.thumb.JPG.367c7d4f163949154039786ef038b6c4.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Sorry I can't help with ID, but that is a nice tooth.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

thanks, yes I went through this topic - a lot ;) - still, the described difference in denticle shape between Nanotyrannus and Dakotaraptor is not super clear to me, especially when looking at this tooth.

Agreed amazing tooth I feel the denticles are more rounded, so would lean towards dakotaraptor but not a 100 percent confident in this identification, at some point need to really learn this terminology and put some drawings to help others with identification because reading the descriptions of fossil elements to those not so much clued in, can be very confusing.

Thanks Matt

• I found this Informative 1

What an incredible tooth first off. Very very nice.

If I had to vote I'd say dakotaraptor. Those denticles look more rounded to me. But I'm far from an expert, heck I'm barely an amateur haha. Still the  hunt for the I.D. is a ton of fun

• I found this Informative 1

Whatever it is, it is NOT a premax tooth.  They have a D shaped cross section.  This does not.  Maxilla or dentary tooth.  

Hi, thank you so much for your input. I am sure about the per 5mm counts, they are indeed smaller on the mesial carina.