Another sinkhole find

austinswamp

I found this odd bone wedged in a crevice as I was descending down the depression. This was found in Travis county

IMG_20181021_103445.jpg

Looks like part of a antler.

This is an international forum so it would be helpful for all of us to have a better idea of geographic location. I am assuming you speak of Travis County, Texas. Travis county has Ozan Cretaceous and Pleistocene age material. If the antler is mineralized then it would be of Pleistocene age. You wouldn’t find an antler from the Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, ynot said:

More views and a scale would help with ID.

I'll post more when I'm back home, the pictures I took exceed the 3.95mb and will not post. 

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

This is an international forum so it would be helpful for all of us to have a better idea of geographic location. I am assuming you speak of Travis County, Texas. Travis county has Ozan Cretaceous and Pleistocene age material. If the antler is mineralized then it would be of Pleistocene age. You wouldn’t find an antler from the Cretaceous.

It is definitely not antler material, small bone of a rodent perhaps, I'll post more 

5 hours ago, KimTexan said:

IMG_20181021_164224.jpg

The only bones I can think of that would have that many attachments and have a curve would be from the skull. Bone from under the occipital orbit or back of jaw. I don’t know enough about small mammal anatomy.

Sometimes ulnas can be all knobby on the top end. But the way this bone flares on the bottom it makes me think it’s the end of the bone. If it were an ulna it would have to be much longer.

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

The only bones I can think of that would have that many attachments and have a curve would be from the skull. Bone from under the occipital orbit or back of jaw. I don’t know enough about small mammal anatomy.

Sometimes ulnas can be all knobby on the top end. But the way this bone flares on the bottom it makes me think it’s the end of the bone. If it were an ulna it would have to be much longer.

I believe I found the possible Identification. It looks like the left carpometa carpus of wild turkey