Air Scribe or Air Abrasive

MSirmon

Wanting to move beyond dental picks. Right now I have a dremel I’m think about using for fossil prep but am worried about maintaining control as it tends to pull. The other options I am seeing are air scribes and abrasive blasting. Which is best? Which is the next logical step?

5FD041BD-C47F-4CC3-8383-4FF023DFFA78.thumb.png.93844f9e6ded931f26858292bd08ee76.png   F39543C8-D86E-4ED1-A11C-43C9D4193A8F.thumb.png.727f21171da3b5b0995938cfee6a2e6c.png

• I found this Informative 1

I use both. Scribing is mostly to remove bulk matrix, and air eraser for fine detailing. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

I use both. Scribing is mostly to remove bulk matrix, and air eraser for fine detailing. 

That make sense. For some reason I was caught in the trap of thinking it was one or the other but together does make more sense. I appreciate your input.

Go ahead Mike just get both! I can't wait to see those auction wins.:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

20 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Go ahead Mike just get both! I can't wait to see those auction wins.:popcorn:

Indeed you shall my friend. Dave, I am just hoping Santa is kind this year. 

2 minutes ago, MSirmon said:

Indeed you shall my friend. Dave, I am just hoping Santa is kind this year. 

I don't think you have anything to worry about, you have been good, haven't you?

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about, you have been good, haven't you?

Oh you never know. Plus, I’m still holding out for a fully articulated Ceratops skeleton. 

1 minute ago, MSirmon said:

Oh you never know. Plus, I’m still holding out for a fully articulated Ceratops skeleton. 

Well there is still a little over 2 months left to butter-up Santa. As for that skeleton, well, you better slather on that butter!

Ok for me there is two options one is great and can vouch for vaniman products being the air abrasive the second is cheaper as their are clones and also a very decent but cheap CP option being the cp9160 but you need to buy a new tip I found I guy in UK who makes them good and sharp and long just what is needed but pricing this up providing you have the air compressor will be 120gbp new or around 60 second hand plus the new tip at 35 GBP and the air abrasive unit will be coming in at around 280gbp 

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

Both are the best option.  However, if you had to choose, and this goes against my own personal interests, I'd go with the scribe.  There are some who only use a scribe for prep work and I think using it as your first tool helps to grow your fundamental prepping knowledge.  The air-abrasives are just plain easy-mode and will spoil you but there is a downside to the abrasives--you do have material cost in that you have to purchase abrasive as you use it.  Hope this helps!  

• I found this Informative 3

For sure get a scribe first, I JUST got my problast a week ago and have been pulling out previously scribe prepped material from the cabinets to give them that finished look. Also don’t skimp on a compressor either. When you do eventually get air abrasive you’ll need something that can keep up. 

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Vaniman said:

Also, in case anyone needs this info.. The standard compressor requirements to power your average sandblaster is an output of 1.5cfm @90 PSI.  :)

This would not meet the minimum requirement for most air scribes though. I used to have a 1.5cfm compressor and it struggled to keep up with an Aro scribe (wouldn't come close to a CP9361 or ME9100). I was constantly having to stop and let the compressor catch up. I moved up to a 4.7cfm @ 90psi compressor wit a 21 gallon tank and it made all the difference. Now, it cycles happily regardless of the tool I'm using.

What’s the capacity of the tank though? Unless you want it running 24/7 I wouldn’t go smaller that a 25-30 gallon personally.