2 hour Briggs Road Hunt

Darktooth

Today was a cold one here in Central New York. I wasn't really planning on doing much today but then I got the fossil itch. I decided to take a quick trip to Briggs Road and try my luck at some trilos. Got to the site around 3:15 pm. On the ride out I saw remnants of snow that probably came down the night before. There wasnt much, but that's not a good sign this early in the season. Anyways when I got there I could see that someone else had been out there recently and had opened up a couple spots. I immediately got to work and was surprised how many partials I was finding. Now I have to mention that I don't keep to many partials unless they are big, well defined, or I think more is hiding in the matrix. But then some whole ones appeared. The first was a roller still imbedded in matrix. I broke it out and lost some thorax in the process. The next was a nice big one which was not in a ideal location for retrieval.  It broke into many pieces and then I was very sad:(. Then the 3rd time was the charm. A nice semi-prone with tail tucked under popped of the matrix as nice as could be:D. I was glad to get out there as it could very well be the last time for awhile. The road is seasonal use and will close November 1st. But I will still have Deep Springs and Cole Hill until the snow comes down too much.

20181021_190404.jpg

20181021_190412.jpg

20181021_185931.jpg

20181021_185949.jpg

20181021_190243.jpg

20181021_190253.jpg

20181021_190311.jpg

20181021_190314.jpg

20181021_190344.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice haul!!! I should have done the same ( take care of my fossil itch) seeing we have had the ground white already too, actually twice. Won't be able to hunt for 3 weeks, really testing the weather by then.

5 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice haul!!! I should have done the same ( take care of my fossil itch) seeing we have had the ground white already too, actually twice. Won't be able to hunt for 3 weeks, really testing the weather by then.

Thanks! It is getting to be that time of year that I start to dread. I am going to have to cram in a hunt every chance I get before that snow starts sticking and staying.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

It be a good day when treasures like these can be found. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice bunch of critters!

As for fossil itch, scratch it while you can. I hope this winter isn't as long as last one.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

What are you doing hanging about in New York you land lubber!

I figured you would be out being the skurge of the high seas with the rest of your skallywag pirate buccaneer buddies.

Pretty good haul to ease that itch. :dinothumb:

38 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

It be a good day when treasures like these can be found. 

I was pretty happy with the finds, but I wish that I could have recovered the one that fell apart on me. It was atleast 3x the size of the one in the first pic and totally prone. But that's part of the hunt, win some lose some.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

32 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Nice bunch of critters!

As for fossil itch, scratch it while you can. I hope this winter isn't as long as last one.

I have been hearing that this winter is supposed to be a rough one. I guess we will have to wait and see. I get nervous when it snows this early before Halloween. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

19 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What are you doing hanging about in New York you land lubber!

I figured you would be out being the skurge of the high seas with the rest of your skallywag pirate buccaneer buddies.

Pretty good haul to ease that itch. :dinothumb:

Aye Doren, I wish me could be sailing the seas in me ship sailing to wonderful fossil sites like the Calvert Cliffs or maybe to the Potomac but fer now I must settle for a landlubbers life of Devonian riches. Aaarrrrr! Treasure comes in many forms fer sure!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Snow?!  I think I saw something about that in a movie once.  It doesnt even cool off here till mid November.

In the past 8 years I have been in Paso Robles, I have only had to pop the heater on for a two week stretch each winter, then it warms back up again.

What I wouldn't give to have to scrape my car off each morning and then be forced to follow a snowplow to work. :rofl:  NOT!!!

Glad you got out, despite the cold, Dave. :) 

Nice finds there. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice finds. I’d love to find trilos like that. 

Often when I go out hunting I carry a bottle of thin cyanoacrylate with me. To stabilize something before extraction or to glue stufff back in place in the field. I don’t know how it works in that kind of cold though. Have you ever used it to stabilize a trilo before extraction if you knew it would be a difficult one?

10 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Nice finds. I’d love to find trilos like that. 

Often when I go out hunting I carry a bottle of thin cyanoacrylate with me. To stabilize something before extraction or to glue stufff back in place in the field. I don’t know how it works in that kind of cold though. Have you ever used it to stabilize a trilo before extraction if you knew it would be a difficult one?

For as long as I have been collecting fossils, I really don't know why I haven't carried something to stabilize fragile specimens. At this site alone I have lost 3 really well detailed and defined specimens. When I first started off collecting fossils I got kind of spoiled because I was working sites where the matrix was much different and the fossils would just pop out nearly perfect.  But here at Briggs and Deep Springs the matrix and fossils can be very tricky. I guess its time to wise-up.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Great outing, Dave! I learned this year the value of carrying the super glue around. You can get them pretty cheaply at the dollar store: just thin enough to wick with, and with small applicator nozzles. Takes up virtually no space in your collecting gear. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

18 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Glad you got out, despite the cold, Dave. :) 

Nice finds there. 

12 hours ago, Monica said:

Wonderful trilos - congratulations! :trilosurprise:

3 hours ago, JarrodB said:

That's some cool finds. Congrats!

Thanks Tim, Monica, and Jarrod!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

4 hours ago, Rowboater said:

You have a nice spot and it is producing.  Nice specimen.

Thanks, it is a very nice spot that has been producing trilos consistently. Wish I could have stayed longer. There is always next time.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Congrats Dave. For a relatively short visit to a tough site, you did extremely well. Glad you took advantage of the opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congrats Dave. For a relatively short visit to a tough site, you did extremely well. Glad you took advantage of the opportunity. 

Thanks Jeff, I am going to try to get back out this weekend as well. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Darktooth,

You could come south to (Devonian) pa. We don't normally get sticking snow until late Nov. I can't promise finds as good as Deep Springs area but there is still some neat stuff. 

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Archived