My middle sons first attempt at air abrasive!!!

RJB

This is a pic of my middle son Casey's very first attempt at air abrasive work.  Its a Phareodus that he found (in pieces) and is now cleaning it with 50% bicarb and 50% dolomite mix.  Being a bit scared and nervouse I could see that he was being too cautious.  I wasnt worried, I had the media flow turned down a little and the pressure was at about 40 psi.  I had him start on the head bones so he could get a feel for it and not ruin anything.  I think he's just getting a handle on it. 

RB

DSCN1819.JPG

On 10/22/2018 at 5:06 AM, Haravex said:

I've never thought of mixing bicarb and dolomite how does that work out?

For this hard bottom cap rock bicarb is too soft and strait dolomite  cuts too fast so i use some bicarb with it to have a bit more control.  Works really well if you ask me.

22 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

That's a neat picture.  It must be great to have your kids share your interest.

This is the firs time this kid has shown any interest.  My youngest son is the fossil nut like me. 

RB

Very nice Ron,  your knowledge and skill been past on to your lads . I hope he gets the prep bug. 

That is exciting to have one of your kids show an interest.

My daughter will go hunting with me, but it is partly spending time with me and partly the adventure of the hunt. I kind of combine outdoorsmanship and naturalist when I am out and she finds it very interesting, more like a novelty though rather than developing a personal interest in it. When she gets home with fossils she has no interest in cleaning or prepping them.

Archived