Coprolite? "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet?!"

InfoHungryMom

Definitely NOT going to do "the tongue test!"

I have found many "rocks" that seem to have multiple fossils in them... and this could be one possible reason- it WAS sticky and did contain food at some point?  

Once again, newbie here.... thoughts?

Thank you!

poop 1.jpg

poop 2.jpg

poop 3.jpg

poop 4.jpg

poop 5.jpg

Sorry, I'm not seeing the features I'd like to see to ID this as a coprolite. The way it is fractures looks more like some kind of silica mineral to me.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Coprolite? "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet?!"

Almost looks like tumbled slag glass.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You have no idea how much I appreciate your input, and how much I am learning!  I guess silly comments are not wanted here?  Like guessing it was Coprolite because it seemed to have "grunt marks?"  (if inappropriate,  I will cease with silliness immediately)

11 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

I guess silly comments are not wanted here?

You guess wrong.

We have several resident jokers in the membership, one more will hardly be noticed.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Please, we are full of silliness and much, MUCH, MORE.  So bring it on!  ( But please keep it PG-13.) 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

What about something like "Apache tear"? May look similar. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

21 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

What about something like "Apache tear"? May look similar. :)

Apache tears are made of obsidian.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 hour ago, InfoHungryMom said:

You have no idea how much I appreciate your input, and how much I am learning!  I guess silly comments are not wanted here?  Like guessing it was Coprolite because it seemed to have "grunt marks?"  (if inappropriate,  I will cease with silliness immediately)

We all enjoy silliness to a point.  :) 

This is a G rated forum. We have children and schools perusing our pages. We do not wish to be blocked by word filters on schools internet access.

While this is a social outlet, we keep tighter reigns on the "Social Media" aspect of this Forum.  

It is a science based forum. We like to keep the humor in line with that. 
In a sea of angry and divisive discourse, we like the Forum to be a drama free, enjoyable place for all.  
So long as we keep body part and scatalogical humor to a solid minimum, we can all have enjoy some laughs. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Along the Danube river, there are a lot of countries with volcanic activity in the past.

Silex (chert, flint or other hard rocks) was used in ancient times as raw material for arrowheads and other artifacts in the Danube River area.
Obsidian was used as well in fabricating arrowheads and so, but I don't know if in the same area.
The specimen in question looks like molten material, to me, which make me think is not quite "silex", but it could be something along the line of obsidian / molten glass.

I'm just trying to find out what it could be. :headscratch:

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

I'm just trying to find out what it could be.

It does not look like obsidian.

Looks like a much harder quartz mineral that has been stream tumbled. 

Could be a quartzite, but that type of rock is usually more granular.

I think the most likely ID for this is chert or flint, not knowing where it originated from.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

In your second photo there looks to be a flat side (on bottom). Could we have a photo of that? Wet it a bit if it helps to see details.

When zoomed in, there's a lot of what looks like little rolls of material mashed together... interesting!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

ABSOLUTELY!  That is what I was joking about as "possible grunt marks" (scat humor... I know...)

I am at work and don't have it with me today, but I will DEFINITELY re-post it tomorrow.  It had a lot of tar/motor oil on one side when I collected it.  I was bleaching or using the strongest cleaning agents allowed on the ship on everything I collected.  I hope that isn't obscuring the "swirls" on it. 

On other rocks, I see what reminds me of bryzoa that I have seen on my "seashell collection".  Again, I am trying to learn as much as possible as fast as possible... I have been "harboring" my "beach collection questions" for a while (are really bad puns okay?! ;-D )

THANK YOU!

1 minute ago, InfoHungryMom said:

ABSOLUTELY!  That is what I was joking about as "possible grunt marks" (scat humor... I know...)

I am at work and don't have it with me today, but I will DEFINITELY re-post it tomorrow.  It had a lot of tar/motor oil on one side when I collected it.  I was bleaching or using the strongest cleaning agents allowed on the ship on everything I collected.  I hope that isn't obscuring the "swirls" on it. 

On other rocks, I see what reminds me of bryzoa that I have seen on my "seashell collection".  Again, I am trying to learn as much as possible as fast as possible... I have been "harboring" my "beach collection questions" for a while (are really bad puns okay?! ;-D )

THANK YOU!

Bad puns, the worse they get, the better they are. Especially if they make my face look like this: :ank:

So yes they're okay haha.

I'd love to see some pictures of your seashell collection. Do you know if some of the shells are fossils? 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi Max!  I am CERTAIN that many ARE fossils.  I will attach some previously taken pictures now...  I have become interested in just about everything I find, including the environment.  I guess that's the result of being, "The Queen of A.D.D."

I have so many questions- Thanks!

Smooth with tons of concentric  ridges on both sides.png

A few of our Tel Aviv beach finds.png

bryzoan fossilized shells.JPG

tpclamtop500.jpg

19 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

We all enjoy silliness to a point.  :) 

This is a G rated forum. We have children and schools perusing our pages. We do not wish to be blocked by word filters on schools internet access.

While this is a social outlet, we keep tighter reigns on the "Social Media" aspect of this Forum.  

It is a science based forum. We like to keep the humor in line with that. 
In a sea of angry and divisive discourse, we like the Forum to be a drama free, enjoyable place for all.  
So long as we keep body part and scatalogical humor to a solid minimum, we can all have enjoy some laughs. ;) 

...he said scatalogical and solid in the same sentence...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

4 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

...he said scatalogical and solid in the same sentence...

Heh heh...  it was more subtle than the original "bare minimum".  :rolleyes:  

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Heh heh...  it was more subtle than the original "bare minimum".  :rolleyes:  

“Hey Beavis...uhhh huh huhhhh”....Ok I’m done now with sophomoric outbursts...onward and upward....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The white circle in the square above may be a fish otolith. I find them around shores of big lakes.

The third of your more recent photos looks to be a fossil. You should put it in a new separate post or things will get too confusing here. :)

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I thought confusing was good... heck, we're quoting Beavis and Butthead!

I DID warn that I had a humongous collection with endless questions!

That's what I get for BEACH-COMBING! 

Should I set-up a collection or gallery in addition or instead?

Thanks!

BEACH COMBING SPACE BALLS.jpg

Hi,

33 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

The white circle in the square above may be a fish otolith. I find them around shores of big lakes.

I am not sure of this, because otoliths show signs of growth, but they are circular, starting from the center to the outside, like the growth streaks of a tree (visible in a section). These ones aren't circular, I don't know if I'm very clear in my explanations...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I would be cautious using cleaning agents on any fossil or mineral without knowing what the specimens are made up of, and how the cleaning agents will react. You could wind up ruining a good specimen.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I know... like I have said, I am learning.  However, I can't take any chances when I am bringing items from other countries home... I just did, and literally EVERY item was reviewed... and approved, thankfully!

With shells, I have seen everything from bleach/water to soaking items in water for 10 days, having them dry in the sun, then boiling them if still worried....  I am CERTAIN you will all have better advice!  Recently, I found a gorgeous fungus growing on items I had only used dish washing soap and water on...  It was beautiful, but decided it should only "live on" in pictures!

beautiful fungal growth 1.jpg

beautiful fungal growth 3.jpg

beautiful fungal growth 7.jpg

Archived