Need Help, real or fake dinosaur egg?

Hello everyone I am Elsa from China and i live in Washington D.C. now. I bought a dinosaur eggs from one of my friend in China and it took me $1500, it's very very big and heavy, but i have never bought fossils before now. If you can help me to confirm the fossils in the pictures below are authentic i would be very thankful.

And if they are real what kind of eggs are they?

IMG_6045_副本.jpg

IMG_6038_副本.jpg

IMG_6050_副本.jpg

IMG_6049_副本.jpg

IMG_6051_副本.jpg

IMG_6036_副本.jpg

I think it's real but the experts should chime in soon.  Welcome to TFF

The general shape and appearance is as I would expect. I cannot see detail of the shell surface from the photos. There appears to be a thin layer of residual matrix on the shell. You would be well-served to view the shell under magnification. A 10X loupe will suffice. To my eye the matrix is the color I am familiar with in only the 1st photo. I assume this is an artifact of the photography (flash?). The reddish color extant in the first image is what I would expect. I like that shell shards are present in disarray, embedded at angles in the matrix. The best I can opine from the photos is that it seems to be a fossil egg.

You will be better armed to ID this piece if you had specific information as to its collection information. That is, exactly where in China it was found; which would reveal the formation of origin. Perhaps you can find out more from your friend.

It is my general understanding, there are some legal issues regarding export of this material from China. There are multiple discussions on this topic on the Forum, but I am ignorant of the details/conclusions.

Eggs of this shape and Chinese origin are generally viewed as "Hadrosaur." However, this is not conclusive or scientific. Here is a link to an article which may be of assistance. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1002007109002949

Good luck, have fun.

@HamptonsDoc

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

14 hours ago, JarrodB said:

I think it's real but the experts should chime in soon.  Welcome to TFF

Thank you so much for your reply 

13 hours ago, snolly50 said:

The general shape and appearance is as I would expect. I cannot see detail of the shell surface from the photos. There appears to be a thin layer of residual matrix on the shell. You would be well-served to view the shell under magnification. A 10X loupe will suffice. To my eye the matrix is the color I am familiar with in only the 1st photo. I assume this is an artifact of the photography (flash?). The reddish color extant in the first image is what I would expect. I like that shell shards are present in disarray, embedded at angles in the matrix. The best I can opine from the photos is that it seems to be a fossil egg.

You will be better armed to ID this piece if you had specific information as to its collection information. That is, exactly where in China it was found; which would reveal the formation of origin. Perhaps you can find out more from your friend.

It is my general understanding, there are some legal issues regarding export of this material from China. There are multiple discussions on this topic on the Forum, but I am ignorant of the details/conclusions.

Eggs of this shape and Chinese origin are generally viewed as "Hadrosaur." However, this is not conclusive or scientific. Here is a link to an article which may be of assistance. 

Good luck, have fun.

@HamptonsDoc

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply and it's really helpful

By the way it's illegal to sell dinosaur eggs in China, but there are many dinosaur eggs from China are auctioned abroad every year. I dnon't how to export them abroad, the eggs are too big and too heavy.

Thanks again and have good night

20 hours ago, Elsa said:

Hello everyone I am Elsa from China and i live in Washington D.C. now. I bought a dinosaur eggs from one of my friend in China and it took me $1500, it's very very big and heavy, but i have never bought fossils before now. If you can help me to confirm the fossils in the pictures below are authentic i would be very thankful.

And if they are real what kind of eggs are they?

IMG_6045_副本.jpg

17 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Good luck, have fun.

@HamptonsDoc

4 hours ago, Elsa said:

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply and it's really helpful

By the way it's illegal to sell dinosaur eggs in China, but there are many dinosaur eggs from China are auctioned abroad every year. I dnon't how to export them abroad, the eggs are too big and too heavy.

Thanks again and have good night

Welcome Elsa, and I believe you have an actual egg based on the above picture. It is hard to see, but in the cross section of the shell is a tiny structure which is very rarely faked, though can be created by man-made processes. There is also a surface texture to the shell which is commonly seen in real eggs. Without a scale bar, it is very difficult to give you an ID on the type of egg or which dinosaur it may be from. The information Snolly talked about is quite important and where in China helps in getting an ID. As you correctly said, many aspects of working with eggs are illegal so if just be aware of the laws and be careful to ensure you do not accidentally break any laws.

• I found this Informative 2

On 10/24/2018 at 1:08 AM, CBchiefski said:

Welcome Elsa, and I believe you have an actual egg based on the above picture. It is hard to see, but in the cross section of the shell is a tiny structure which is very rarely faked, though can be created by man-made processes. There is also a surface texture to the shell which is commonly seen in real eggs. Without a scale bar, it is very difficult to give you an ID on the type of egg or which dinosaur it may be from. The information Snolly talked about is quite important and where in China helps in getting an ID. As you correctly said, many aspects of working with eggs are illegal so if just be aware of the laws and be careful to ensure you do not accidentally break any laws.

Agreed. +1 for real egg.