Max-fossils

Hi all,

When I saw this specimen on the beach of Banjaard (in Zeeland, Netherlands), I picked it up thinking it was just a small piece of bone with a weird shape. But now that I've been looking at it more closely I am almost completely convinced that it is in fact a worn out tooth from some kind of mammal (perhaps dolphin or seal?). There are some small bits of enamel left on the (thinner; right side on the first photos) tip of the tooth. 

The Banjaard beach has mostly Pleistocene stuff, but older things can wash up occasionally (the same day I found a Pliocene and an Eocene shell, so there's a real mix of stuff). So this tooth has a possible age of pretty much the whole Neogene. 

I tried to capture the enamel bits on camera but it's pretty difficult. This is my best attempt, hopefully it is good enough to see the separation between normal bone and enamel. 

Do you guys think it is possible to say anything more about this little fossil?

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Sorry, I do not see a tooth, what does the 'root' end look like.

Never ask a starfish for directions