Philo78

I found this rock in the desert outside St. George, Utah. It looks like an eggshell to me, but I have no experience here. I'd appreciate any thoughts!5bcf40d94c596_IMG_4884(1024x768).jpg.540bab95d5da7c193a5363bd246a2c7d.jpg

IMG_4883 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4885 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4886 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4887 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4888 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4889 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4890 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4891 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4892 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4893 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_4894 (1024x768).jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Unfortunately, I think this is a Concretion, rather than an egg. 

The "rind" on this doesn't look like eggshell to me. Too thick, and not the correct texture.

Wait for some more opinions, though. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think it is a weathered chert nodule

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

Agree with the others, just a simple concretion. Sorry!

Utah has many great fossils though, so you should find some pretty soon if you keep looking! ;) 

If I were you I would check out U-Dig. I've never been there, but I've heard it's a really fantastic place to hunt for 550 million-year-old trilobites (and brachiopods and sponges)!

Happy hunting!

Max

PS: when I saw "egg shell" as the title, I was already getting excited at seeing some nice Laevicardium fossils... Oh well :( 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I wouldn't just chuck it I would hang onto it. It seems interesting to me it looks like it has more than one layer. Perhaps some sediment covering the outside??...and that inner gooyness looks like the inside could have been a liquid....of course this is an opinion from another newbie.

4 hours ago, hndmarshall said:

Perhaps some sediment covering the outside??

When cryptocrystalline quartz is exposed to the elements (weather) it begins to hydrate (pick up water).

The "layers" of this rocks exterior show the hydration that has occured to this rock.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

16 hours ago, ynot said:

When cryptocrystalline quartz is exposed to the elements (weather) it begins to hydrate (pick up water).

The "layers" of this rocks exterior show the hydration that has occured to this rock.

still learning, as a lover of weird things I think this rock is very interesting...I do a lot of art so i tend to see things in rocks most dont...makes it hard to find real fossils when my eyes see what they see...lol....I have a whole box of look likes and its growing. Some times I find them more interesting than the real fossils. They are natures way of saying...."gotcha! fooled ya again".

I've never seen the cortex weather differently from the interior chert. Usually the chert and the cortex( outer rind) blend into each other gradually, going from grainy outside to hard in the center. I'm a bit thrown off by this weathering. The outside looks bony, though probably not.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

2 hours ago, ynot said:

You are not alone, check out this thread....

found this interesting...have added a few of my own...really need to add that invisible frog...lol