Looking for cheap fossil prep equipment

LegitimateScientist1

I am wanting to start preparing some fossils. However, I only want cheap tools, so I'm not really looking for any of the air pens or other expensive tools. Are there any hand tools you would recommend for under £35?

Also, I'm looking for somewhere to buy some unprepared fossils I could practice on - any suggestions would be appreciated.

In terms of cheap tools, you can try dental picks and pin vise as both are fairly affordable. It very much depends on the material you'll be working on. Without air tools, the going may be slow and results not as impressive. Have a look at our Fossil Preparation sub-forum for more information. 

Apart from scouring the auction sites, you can always keep your eye on the member-to-member sales thread for any offers of unprepared material. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

40 minutes ago, Kane said:

Apart from scouring the auction sites, you can always *keep your eye on the member-to-member sales thread* for any offers of unprepared material. 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

* This is with the caveat that the "Member to Member Sales" thread is a delayed permission, linked to a healthy number of substantive posts. ;) 

Awls, scribes, and other assorted tools can be found at flea markets or garage sales for little money.

You might also consider rotary tools or electric engravers, as they are not overly pricey. 

EDIT: Topic moved to Fossil Preparation. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I started prepping with a small ball peen hammer and a 3” drywall screw. You will be amazed what you can do with simple tools.

@Kane is right about the time and expectation on results. Prepping takes a long time regardless of tools and there’s a steep learning curve. Be prepared to wreck a bunch of fossils.

45 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Be prepared to wreck a bunch of fossils.

image.png.07900984276bfa311c7f3e33712c5ef9.png

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

They say 'Money cant buy love', but it sure can buy fossi prep tools.   You can do a lot with some small simple tools, ,, I started with a steak knife.   It took me many many years to get what I wanted, but now I do finaly have what I want and need to prep fossils of all kinds.  Good luck fella. 

RB

12 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s basically what I look

I don't think you're doing much prep work with mitts like those! :rofl:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Dreml vibratoory tool about $20 US

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Don’t use an electric engraver of any kind. They can do serious neurological damage over time. They are not meant for extended use. Saving a few dollars is not worth medical bills in the future.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

1 hour ago, John said:

Don’t use an electric engraver of any kind. They can do serious neurological damage over time. They are not meant for extended use. Saving a few dollars is not worth medical bills in the future.

Over time this is an issue but for short sessions (15 minutes) with breaks and average hobby use it shouldn’t add up to nerve damage. 

Buffalo Dental Mfg #15.  Dental drill points are very fine and are diamond sintered. I purchased my drill (chrome and very aero looking) at an auction for $40. Use it mostly for intaglio in my lapidary work but is good on general fossil clean up. For super fine work gotta have air abrasion.  I have a patience problem and would have to proceed to a ruinous experiment with #50000 grit diamond abrasive in an air pen. Stupid fun is where you find it.

33 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Buffalo Dental Mfg #15.  Dental drill points are very fine and are diamond sintered. I purchased my drill (chrome and very aero looking) at an auction for $40. Use it mostly for intaglio in my lapidary work but is good on general fossil clean up. For super fine work gotta have air abrasion.  I have a patience problem and would have to proceed to a ruinous experiment with #50000 grit diamond abrasive in an air pen. Stupid fun is where you find it.

The only problem with rotary equipment is that it doesn’t take advantage of the tendency for most matrix to flake away from the fossil when struck with an impact (on a very small scale that is). 

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The only problem with rotary equipment is that it doesn’t take advantage of the tendency for most matrix to flake away from the fossil when struck with an impact (on a very small scale that is). 

At 1750 rpm's the matrix really blows itself away.  Dentists wear filters or a face mask for this reason. I use the filter and a small vacuum system.

I am so going to post pictures some day.

1 hour ago, goatinformationist said:

At 1750 rpm's the matrix really blows itself away.  Dentists wear filters or a face mask for this reason. I use the filter and a small vacuum system.

I am so going to post pictures some day.

I’m not saying they don’t remove a ton of material. There’s a tendency for the matrix to cleave cleanly from the specimen as you get close with an impact device that you can’t take advantage of with a rotary device.

Yes that is true and I would not use it on delicate items.  But I am not a professional and am happy to leave the finer arts to others like yourself.  Best.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:27 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I started prepping with a small ball peen hammer and a 3” drywall screw. You will be amazed what you can do with simple tools.

@Kane is right about the time and expectation on results. Prepping takes a long time regardless of tools and there’s a steep learning curve. Be prepared to wreck a bunch of fossils.

Me too ... drywall screw.  

Archived