ID and age of sharks teeth found on Naples Beach FL

Aisha

My friend found a few sharks teeth on Naples Beach FL.  She was hoping to find out the age and ID if possible.  Thank you! 

43565609-BE8A-47C8-BBA5-45615F07F5E6.jpeg

5CB87BCD-F902-46B4-855B-851737FEC4E7.jpeg

6B512A43-0843-4880-B639-2DD55CA2B64F.jpeg

I think what's given is good enough, except for the 4th tooth which looks too generic at that lighting.

1. Carcharodon plicatilis

2. Hemipristis serra

3. Carcharocles megalodon

4. Alopias superciliosus?

As far as I know, the Tamiami Formation stretches to Naples Beach. The Tamiami Formation is dated Late Miocene-Pliocene.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I think what's given is good enough, except for the 4th tooth which is merely a simple guess.

2. Hemipristis serra

I would like to know what diagnostic features You used to come up with these IDs?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I think what's given is good enough, except for the 4th tooth which is merely a simple guess.

2. Hemipristis serra

As far as I know, the Tamiami Formation stretches to Naples Beach. The Tamiami Formation is dated Late Miocene-Pliocene.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot!  I do have a question, why do you think the 3rd tooth is a megalodon?  My friend sent me a picture with all of the teeth next to a penny.  I know I am not suppose to post the picture next to a coin but that is all I have for pictures.  Maybe this picture could help out!  Again thank you so much, you are awesome! 

FEE3E56B-184C-4A6C-A2E9-739CDAECD6E4.jpeg

24 minutes ago, ynot said:

I would like to know what diagnostic features You used to come up with these IDs?

1. Distinct 'Carcharodont' triangle shape and it does appear that the crown is unserrated and razor-like as it does not appear to be worn enough for serrations to disappear

2. Distinct robust build with the crown pointing away from the middle axis and signs of very large serrations on the concave side of the blade.

3. Presence of bourlette and robust root with extreme low crown.

4. Smoothly curved root with broad crown, however like I stated I am not sure with my ID on this.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

@Aisha Unfortunately, the new pictures don't do justice, only the bottom two teeth show somewhat better lighting. Hopefully you can get another chance to see those teeth!

15 minutes ago, Aisha said:

I know I am not suppose to post the picture next to a coin

Is there a rule about not posting pictures with coins?:headscratch: I mean, it's more encouraged to use a ruler rather than a coin for scale, but there is no reason to make it against the rules.

15 minutes ago, Aisha said:

I do have a question, why do you think the 3rd tooth is a megalodon?

The diagnostics are that there is a bourlette (That liney thing between the enamel and the root in only Otodus and Carcharocles teeth), and shape matches with extreme posterior megalodon teeth like these:

Image result for extreme posterior megalodon toothTiny, Serrated, 1" Baby Megalodon Tooth - Maryland

It is true that megalodon teeth are usually giant, but at times teeth that are ungodly tiny can be found. Here's a forum thread showing some examples:

1 hour ago, PaleoRon said:

1 - C. hastalis

2 - H. serra

3 - Carcharhinus sp upper

4 - Carcharhinus sp lower

Thank you!! ☺️