Trevor

Hello everyone, this is Trevor. I have been meaning to post this for a long time and finally got around to doing it. I would appreciate help identifying these finds. Also, stay tuned I have a trip report coming out later this week, probably Friday.

What type of ammonite is this? (middle)

Ammonite1.thumb.JPG.28c137de83367b643a48a2c0efa9e7fa.JPG

Ammonite2.thumb.JPG.336c3a9432f045742148633afb1a6778.JPG

: )

5 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Xiphactinus? (this is a really thick tooth)

5bcfdffee526e_Xiphact.thumb.JPG.a205eafb263ef9cf6a92ad4823a42607.JPG

Xiphact2.thumb.JPG.68ad1ba7b1cb1eea7c38dd882ec11b95.JPG

I think this is way too robust for Xiphactinus. Maybe croc?

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Xiphactinus said:

I think this is way too robust for Xiphactinus. Maybe croc?

Crocodiles in NJ have a very circular root structure. I have no idea what this is then and I do not believe it is croc.

The first ammonoid is a baculite frag. The "cartilage" looks like a bone frag, but need more pics. The coprolite is a spiral valve coprolite that is likely from a shark. The first tooth is definitely Xiphactinus, the next one might be X-fish, but need more pics.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

The patho tooth/claw is likely modern, not sure what it is. Yep, the teeth are 2 fish (Enchodus lateral) teeth, 3 Croc teeth, and a Pachyrhizodus tooth.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

The last two mammal teeth seem modern. Don't know what rodent they are from though.

1 minute ago, Trevor said:

Plesiosaur? 

Plesi1.thumb.JPG.1cd6a55be57b52df5da47f71d89996b2.JPG

Plesi.thumb.JPG.ce251bd54e93d38d2d060e791258be4c.JPG

Hybodont cephalic clasper hook.

10 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Scute?

5bcfe32ac5083_TurtleScute.thumb.JPG.5bb2c0a5de97811d644a183413b6274b.JPG

Plesiosaur tooth chunk?

Tooth.thumb.JPG.84c4ad37fffa888ad2ddd476c0d30b99.JPG

The first one is possibly a piece of turtle shell, but I'm thinking it is a concretion. Second seems like Enchodus from that angle.

Just now, Trevor said:

They have striations like that? 

Sometimes on the inner curve of the hook and part of the root.

1 minute ago, The Jersey Devil said:

The first one is possibly a piece of turtle shell, but I'm thinking it is a concretion. Second seems like Enchodus from that angle.

I have always thought concretion for the "scute" but the more I look at it the more it seems like a worn scute to me. I need to get a better camera lens for tomorrow but I really do not think that tooth chunk is Enchodus. I will get different angles.

Just now, Trevor said:

I have always thought concretion for the "scute" but the more I look at it the more it seems like a worn scute to me. I need to get a better camera lens for tomorrow but I really do not think that tooth chunk is Enchodus. I will get different angles.

Yeah, the lines on the possible bone piece might be sulci marks, but I'm not confident they are from one shot.

That mammal tooth between your fingers ( I could be wrong here) looks a lot like rabbit.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

That mammal tooth between your fingers ( I could be wrong here) looks a lot like rabbit.

Yeah it's a rabbit molar I think.

Here's what I see. Sorry: haven't read the other posts yet.

• The first 3 are ammonite chamber steinkerns. The one on the left of the first shot is probably Placenticeras, as is the one on the right. The "croissant" in the middle is Menuites. Nice find.
  • The "cartilage" definitely does not look like chondrichthyan cartilage. Might be a mollusk steinkern of some kind.
  • I agree with the 2 possible Xiphactinus teeth
  • Can't tell what the "pathologic tooth or claw" is. Not at all likely to be a claw but possibly a fish tooth fragment
  • The 6 teeth I would ID as Enchodus, Enchodus, croc, croc, croc, Pachyrhizodus
  • "Scute" - nope. Just a rock
  • "Plesiosaur tooth chunk" may just be a bone fragment - very hard to tell
  • The mammal teeth are most likely modern - I'm seeing deer and rodent
  • Hybodont cephalic hook rather than plesiosaur tooth
  • I found this Informative 3

53 minutes ago, Carl said:

Here's what I see. Sorry: haven't read the other posts yet.

• The first 3 are ammonite chamber steinkerns. The one on the left of the first shot is probably Placenticeras, as is the one on the right. The "croissant" in the middle is Menuites. Nice find.

Do you know of any good sources for IDing NJ ammonite material?