Suggestions on polishing petrified wood

Guilded

Hello everyone,  this is my first post  so I’m hope Im posting this in the right place. 

I’ve been hunting Indian artifacts here in MIssissippi for a few years now. Mostly in creeks.  Just started hunting a creek on my friend’s property in Yazoo Co, MS.  It is a gigantic gravel creek,  it’s a little overwhelming for artifact hunting.  But the creek is a treasure trove of petrified wood of all sizes.  Lots of agates also. That is one rock I can identify. I go in looking for artifacts and I come out with 40 pounds of wood in my backpack. 

I need some suggestions on how to polish this piece of wood I found a few days ago.   I know nothing about polishing or petrified wood.  In the picture below, the wood is wet but of course when it dries out it’s a lot lighter.  If possible, I would like it to look how it looks when it is wet, color wise.  I don’t want it to be to glossy.  Just want it to be a little darker and bring out the details better.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m sure I will be asking more questions in the future, I’m finding a lot of rocks and other things that may be fossils but I am just not sure. 

F4D44328-6326-4729-9777-4CCF8EFCC8C8.jpeg

E1AE455A-1CA8-4D2D-A8C3-708D5B4E2C2A.jpeg

You can put a little wax on it, it reinforces the colors and it is reversible. Generally it's not so bright.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

That's a very nice piece that retains its appearance as wood. Polishing the surface will diminish this desirable (to me) feature. It is my feeling that pet wood that has lost its obvious wood appearance is a better candidate for high polish - enhancing color and imparting a gem-like quality. On this piece, polishing the "ends" might be an option, otherwise retaining its log-like appearance. However, if it were mine I would clean it, buff it with a soft cloth and quit there. Good luck, have fun. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

24 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

However, if it were mine I would clean it, buff it with a soft cloth and quit there

Smaller pieces look very nice polished on the ends, but yours is pretty big so I would not go that route. 

I agree with @Coco and @snolly50 that a little bees wax and polish from a soft cloth is all it needs.  

As pet wood goes, yours is very tight and well preserved.  It looks like mother nature has already polished it up some.  Very nice!  :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Personally I wouldnt do any polishing other than the wax to bring out the color.

A right nice piece ya got there.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Perfect piece just as the others have said. Also just a bit of clear beeswax like caldiger said will finish it beautifully. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and suggestions!!

i just had a feeling that this wood didn’t need to be polished but I couldn’t find much info online of what candidates should or shouldn’t  be polished. I just wanted to bring the color out a little more. After reading a few thread on this forum, I was pretty confident I came to the right place.

i raise honey bees so I have a ton of raw bees wax... will that work?

I was wondering about the stain on the wood in the pic that looks like a rust stain, can that be removed safely or should I not worry about it?

Thanks again everyone!

7 minutes ago, Guilded said:

i raise honey bees so I have a ton of raw bees wax... will that work?

I was wondering about the stain on the wood in the pic that looks like a rust stain, can that be removed safely or should I not worry about it?

I don't think bee's wax can hurt anything.  Kudos, by the way, for keeping bees!

As for the stain, I would leave it.  You'll try to fix that and end up making a lighter spot, then want to fix that, and so on.  Next thing you know you have a lovely petrified toothpick! 

If it does not come off with a wet cloth, it is just part of the fossilization.  

• I found this Informative 1

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

You could always try a little bit on the under side just to see how it looks and takes. I use clear beeswax that you would use for furniture.  I will second Walt’s kudos . If I had the room I would have bees too.:dinothumb: