Still_human

I can't find any pictures that focus on Edaphosaurus claws, and I can't zoom in enough on pictures to get a clear visual of any claws, so I can't see any differences between Dimetrodon and Edaphosaurus claws are. They're both really small compared to the bodies, so it's hard to see from full body/skeleton pictures, and they wouldn't be from enough angles to be sure. Someone who has dealt with lots of them, including on articulated specimens, has said that they're almost the same, and as far as he knows, but isn't 100% sure about it, the biggest difference, the only one he is aware of, is that Dimetrodon claws are curved on the bottom, like raptor/general theropod claws, while Edaphosaurus claws, equally sharp, are mostly flat on the bottom, like spino toe claws. Is that the case? Does anyone happen to know?

10 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Wow, you're right about that! According to this, there's literally almost zero visual difference, and the slight differences don't look like they would even be sufficient enough to see in person! Edaphosaurus does appear flatter, but barely!

that was fantastic help, thanks very much!!!

*i wonder what those additional lines down the center indented line of the Dimetrodon claw is

:shrug:

I don't know if all of their claws are the same, and of course there's always going to be variations within the species, so I'm really hoping the bottom curve, or lacktherof, is still a legitimate detail. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone can confirm it. If anyone even just has clear pictures with example Edaphosaurus claws, that would help:)

Ah-HA!!!!! I see a slight difference!!!!!

the Edaphosaurus claw has the channel end above and before the tip(in red), and Dimetrodon claw channel end at the tip(blue)!

IMG_8258.PNG

Haha! A), the cotylorhynchus, is that weird pinhead thing that looks like it's neck hole is a humongous open mouth!

IMG_8262.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG