Possible Baronyx teeth?

Stef X

Hello, 

im stef and from the UK.

i have had these a while and always wanted to get them looked at.

i know there were 3 types of dinosaur that lived in south East England : the Megalosaurus Warkerii trio of which Baronyx belongs to.

any ideas? If you would like close ups, different angles etc to help please let me know. This could be interesting! 

Kind regards Stef

0AC784F2-EC87-4AF8-84F4-9A6D34513A3C.jpeg

AE699625-FCD6-4F11-94A7-F11C2B2FD887.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Unfortunately, I don't see anything resembling fossil teeth here. :( 

No enamel present, not root material, no bone. 

These all look like they are geologic oddities, rather than actual fossils.  :unsure: 

Regards, 

I took the liberty of brightening, contrasting, and cropping one of your photos: 

AE699625-FCD6-4F11-94A7-F11C2B2FD887.jpeg.8a65b31787fb240878e3c3d3c7e65895.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Moved to Fossil ID. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Hi, out of curiosity, where were these found?  I noticed you live in the UK which is the perfect spot to find Baryonyx fossils.  However, these are commonly found on the Isle of Wight.  I would suggest trying there first if you haven't already been there :) 

Sorry to say that those aren’t baryonyx teeth. If you go fossil hunting keep an eye out for ones like the attached. If you find one they’re pretty special!

6BD2A059-1FC3-49AE-8921-ECCA1686CBF3.jpeg

5680CBDD-2A4B-4D48-80D1-89EDD549031B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

18 hours ago, paulyb135 said:

Sorry to say that those aren’t baryonyx teeth. If you go fossil hunting keep an eye out for ones like the attached. If you find one they’re pretty special!

Is this gorgeous specimen yours? If so is it a personal find?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

8 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Is this gorgeous specimen yours? If so is it a personal find?

It is mine :). One of two I own and unfortuntely not a personal find

7 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

It is mine :). One of two I own and unfortuntely not a personal find

Ah shame it's not a personal find, that would've been extraordinary. Still a fantastic piece to have in one's collection! :envy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

30 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Ah shame it's not a personal find, that would've been extraordinary. Still a fantastic piece to have in one's collection! :envy:

Thank you! This particular one is in my top 5 teeth I own for sure!

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys , sorry for late reply; Christmas period and all! 

The reason I asked, is that I found them

all together literally falling out one after the other when there was not as many stones elsewhere. They looked more like a mould rather than the bone itself if you know what I mean.

where it’s found is extremely thick silt and clay. (15 miles of where Baryonyx was found in Surrey actually) I thought it may have ‘mummified’ something.

Also it’s because I have found loads of other weird stuff nearby lately It made me think perhaps! 

Thank you all again to your reply’s and happy new year!

2C2F6817-65B9-4817-A3EE-D0EF737E78BF.jpeg

Edited by Stef X
Poor grammar! XD

On 25/10/2018 at 11:53 PM, Runner64 said:

Hi, out of curiosity, where were these found?  I noticed you live in the UK which is the perfect spot to find Baryonyx fossils.  However, these are commonly found on the Isle of Wight.  I would suggest trying there first if you haven't already been there :) 

This was all found in Surrey. Literally 10-15 miles from the clays the Holotype were found. I was not aware of  Baryonyx pieces  found on the Isle of Wight, I thought it was just Surrey and a few odd possibles from Spain and France that had been found despite the Isle of Wight being one of our most prolific  fossile locations. 

2 hours ago, Stef X said:

This was all found in Surrey. Literally 10-15 miles from the clays the Holotype were found. I was not aware of  Baryonyx pieces  found on the Isle of Wight, I thought it was just Surrey and a few odd possibles from Spain and France that had been found despite the Isle of Wight being one of our most prolific  fossile locations. 

Oh the Isle of Wight is full of fossils.  Most are tumbled and rolled bone but every now and then you get something very cool like a baryonx tooth, iguanodon tooth, claws, etc.

6 hours ago, Stef X said:

A few more of the ‘oddities’ all found within 600mm squared 

All seem to be just ordinary rocks shaped by diagenesis and erosion... Like the first ones you have shown some time ago.

33 minutes ago, Johannes said:

All seem to be just ordinary rocks shaped by diagenesis and erosion... Like the first ones you have shown some time ago.

I’m not actually a fossil hunter or is this deliberate. It’s just something I have stumbled across that is so out of place and the pieces are weird and I have found several similar pieces in close by areas and thought it needed looking at before being thrown away. 

I didnt think they were anything when I first saw them. But when you start seeing 2’s and 3’s of the same specific shapes so close but in different types of matrix : you naturally see a pattern so start getting curious.

im not desperate to find anything. I just don’t want to be the village idiot who threw away something important.

But now I know it’s all just regular rocks I can safely dig up the rest of the area and get rid of all them. 

Apologies for checking 

CF4FE412-8B2F-469D-A897-C416AD61AD13.thumb.jpeg.cad2444b42010d1c4b68725e20fc4862.jpeg

Here are a few more pics. But it’s just so random its here. That’s what made it stick out. Nothing but silt then crunch with the shovel Into concentrated deposits of similar stuff. I mean it has a weird like ring or floral patina when you get the top layer of rock off and get to the really hard and heavy blue bit. 

I looked in some books and stuff and found similar shapes. 

But thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look and help 

EB684C70-636D-42B9-AE94-D0EBF36D1298.jpeg

E91FBD4D-611B-476E-9574-69FBF851EE9A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Stef X said:

But when you start seeing 2’s and 3’s of the same specific shapes so close but in different types of matrix : you naturally see a pattern so start getting curious.

That's called selective perception that leeds to false pattern recognition, something nobody is completly save from.

3 hours ago, Johannes said:

That's called selective perception that leeds to false pattern recognition, something nobody is completly save from.

Possibly...

well i tweeted the images to the Natural History Museum anyway this afternoon. 

I’m Not saying this means anything, but after their Dinolabs looked at them; they want me to send in my images to another department. 

As I said, it doesn’t mean it isn’t just a  60 yr old brick, but after looking at the same images you did, they weren’t as dismissive.

99D6ABAB-183E-435B-9B7E-CFB6180E4AFB.jpeg

157873A2-7ED2-4359-B33A-1AFFCAAD7A53.jpeg

Well, let us hope that the Dinolab can get to the bottom of your mystery items. :) 

Please let us know the results.

Regards,

16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well, let us hope that the Dinolab can get to the bottom of your mystery items. :) 

Please let us know the results.

Regards,

Many thanks, 

honestly it’s not that I’m suddenly desperate in my 30’s to find fossils! 

They suddenly just stuck out. 

It’s just maybe one of those:

“You weren’t there man!!” Moments! 

At first I didn’t even notice.

then i tried not to think anything of it, but the more huge bits of random stuff in a place where it really shouldn’t be it became impossible to ignore. 

There is nothing else apart from clay and silt in the area I found them.  No houses, or industry. And historically I looked and also there was little in the manner of man made buildings in the area throughout its history. 

But it could just just be selective perception and erosion on some random rock.

but better to check no? 

And i will let you know either way. If it’s junk or of interest 

kind regards to all 

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hey Stef, you did the right thing taking them home. Better to take a rock home than leave a fossil! 

Good luck with the ID. 

Thank you genuinely JohnBrewer! 

at the end of the day if they are something; It’s something for us to learn more about and the more we find ; could result in more and more people being needed in the field. 

If taking a rock rock home can provide information and jobs; I’ll carry a sack load on my back. 

• I found this Informative 1