48-Million-Year-Old Fossil Owl

Auspex

"... The finding is extraordinary, largely because it's rare to find fossilized owls, especially one that has so many preserved bones, said project co-researcher Elizabeth Freedman Fowler, an assistant professor at Dickinson State University in North Dakota, who dubbed the specimen "the finest fossil owl..."

Story on Live Science.

(There is no drool-bucket big enough...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:drool:

I need about 1,000 of those emoticons

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

See, even the professionals use coins to show scale size!!!

As they shouldn’t as it may be party to cultural chauvinism. The US represents about 5% of the earth’s population. This is why internationally recognized measurement matters. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree that metric measurements are the best to use with photos. Sometimes a US metric system (decimal) coin makes it into my photos. Do as I say; don't do as I sometimes do. Include a metric measurement also. 

We could use some nice plastic TFF photo scales for everyone to buy and use.

Since we are a US based site, some will follow the slogan: "You can have my inch-pounds when you pry them from my cold, dead hands." I am much more to the Henny Youngman side: "Here, take my inch-pounds."

Back to the owl. On my little phone screen it looks like continued prep will reveal more surprises.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

See, even the professionals use coins to show scale size!!!

It isn't a very scientific method ! And I would like to see an example of official publication with this measurement system !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived