It is the tusks of a baby woolly mammoth?

prod

Hello.

Found in permafrost, Yakutia, Russia. I made a bet with a friend that is a mammoth Tusk, and he claims it's not a Tusk! Thank you.

received_1752138935101426.jpeg

received_1752138938434759.jpeg

It reminds me of the "horizontal" teeth of a hippopotamus, but the end (the pointy tip) intrigues me...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here are three examples that are even smaller from the paper "Deciduous tusks and small permanent tusks of the Woolly Mammoth found on the beaches of the Netherlands".

tusk2.JPG

tusk3.JPG

tusk4.JPG

4 hours ago, Coco said:

It reminds me of the "horizontal" teeth of a hippopotamus, but the end (the pointy tip) intrigues me...

Agree the tip ends are unusual in their growth and almost seem to be branching.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I never had the opportunity to study proboscidean deciduous or very young permanent tusks, but I'm inclined to believe that the specimens in question might be something like that. Also, I could be wrong.
The possible scenery might be something like:
Both "tusks" have lost the tip cup of enamel, so what may be visible in the tapering end might be the dentine following the same shape of a complete tusk-end with the enamel preserved, maybe more branched. Next in line, might be the cementum cover of the dentine running along the tusk, narrowing to a thin end where the pulp cavity is larger.

received_1752138935101426.jpeg.b428729d86455595d5186d8aec6a84a5.jpg.3d81ebb2f00a58469668ce7876f06616.jpgquaternary-01-00007.thumb.jpg.2e1a7c58341b17667589df4857391e69.jpg

Thanks to Eric, Harry, and the authors of the document mentioned above (D. Moll et al. 2018), making the collected specimens available for further study.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

the base of the Tusk is called alviola. it's always hollow. These samples are of interest for science. They can indicate the reason why the mammoths in life sharpened(stitch) the ends of his tusks. Yes, part of sheath tip of the tusks broke loose, but in doing so she revealed the tips of the tusks. I'm assuming these are mammoth milk tusks, which means they've been replaced by permanent tusks.

Archived