Max-fossils

17 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

...I hope you enjoyed the report! 

Indeed! What a fantastic diversity of cephalopods you've collected.

And this!!!...

17 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

IMG_1007.thumb.JPG.def2cc0e057026554160b7536e58d6c2.JPG

...my goodness...just awesome!...:drool:.

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

17 hours ago, Innocentx said:

An amazing hunt you had! Truly beautiful finds!!!

Are these clay exposures man made?

Thanks!

Nope, these exposures are all natural. \

New fossils are exposed with heavy rainfalls. And we were actually pretty lucky, because when we went there, there had been a big storm only a week before, which brought out quite some new stuff. 

17 hours ago, Coco said:

I have good memories of there, and unidentified ammonites !

Beautiful finds !

Coco

Thanks! It's a great place, isn't it? :) 

17 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Thanks for the report! The site - and the fossils - look really cool.. I'd love to go there :) 

-Christian

Thank you! I hope you get the opportunity to hunt there soon. 

16 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Many lovely finds! It reminds me of the pyritized ammonites, gastropods, and bivalves in the Del Rio clay of Texas, though your’s is a bit older. 

I agree that what look like nautiloids are probably ammonites with constrictions, though I don’t know what variety they are. In the picture with the two “nautiloids”, I can see the outline of complex sutures at the aperture of the left specimen. I wonder if the first specimen is a different species than the last two, since the first seems to have more constrictions than the other two. The first specimen and the specimen on the left in the second set seem to be about the same size, yet I can count 9 constrictions on the former and only 5 on the later. Either way, all three are exquisite, especially the first one! 

Thanks a lot!

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

16 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Plenty of trade material there!;)

Yup! I've already sent out a whole bunch of Aconeceras ammonites and quite a few belemnites too. If you want any yourself don't hesitate to tell me and I'll send you some over!

I am keeping the more uncommon stuff to myself though :P 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

13 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Fantastic my friend great finds. :envy:

Thanks Bobby!!!

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds Max!

Some neat looking stuff for sure.

Thanks Tony!

3 hours ago, belemniten said:

What a great site and awesome finds :faint: Congrats! 

Thanks Sebastian! :D 

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Yup.

Those are Holcophylloceras guettardi ammonites.

I was there myself many years ago and had similar success as well as at other sites in the area. Seems like there's a never ending supply of fossils in the Provence. I'd strongly suggest that you give your finds a treatment against pyrite disease as soon as possible, since some of them may soon start to disintegrate if you don't.

I'll get the pyrite treatment underway soon. Still need to buy some of the equipment. 

Thanks for the ID help!

New fossils are apparently commonly exposed with every rainfall. 

Max Derème

1 hour ago, PFOOLEY said:

Indeed! What a fantastic diversity of cephalopods you've collected.

And this!!!...

...my goodness...just awesome!...:drool:.

Haha thanks a lot!!! :ighappy:

Max Derème

48 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I am keeping the more uncommon stuff to myself though

Meaning the heteromorph ammonite fragments?? ;) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

5 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Meaning the heteromorph ammonite fragments?? ;) 

-Christian

Namely (well, perhaps I'll let one specimen go if someone is really interested), but I was more thinking the diplobelenid belemnites!

I'll also be keeping the small inoceramid clam, the gastropod, and the rarer ammonite pieces. I'll probably be willing to let more go next year, when I find more specimens of them.

I usually always keep 3 to 5 specimens of each different thing before being willing to let some go. 

Max Derème

Thanks for sharing, Max!

Did you notice any outcrop with fossils in Carniol? Googling for ammonites and carniol yielded one small matrix specimen with ammonites. So matrix specimens are there, but they seem to be relatively rare? Anyway - great locality with great fossils!
Franz Bernhard

6 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for sharing, Max!

Did you notice any outcrop with fossils in Carniol? Googling for ammonites and carniol yielded one small matrix specimen with ammonites. So matrix specimens are there, but they seem to be relatively rare? Anyway - great locality with great fossils!
Franz Bernhard

You probably mean this piece here (from Google)?

Fossile-di-AMMONITE-piritizzata-Carniol-Francia.jpg.9be63dbfc69b2260919e22cd95cabbbc.jpg

The matrix here does seem a little different than what I saw, because it seems very smooth and to be one "block" of very dense clay. I didn't see any pieces like this one. 

The clay that I was hunting in was very crumbly and easily goes off the fossils. Just a tiny bit of rubbing in water and it's all gone. 

I could have purposefully collected some by leaving a lot of clay around them if I wanted to, but I don't think it would've had the same aesthetic appeal as the piece here does. Plus the clay would've crumbled off pretty quickly. 

I don't know how the person that has this piece did it to keep the ammonites in matrix like this; perhaps he used some sort of product to keep the clay smooth and hold it together?

Max Derème

If you use Google Maps or Google Earth in satellite view to look around Carniol there seems to be several exposures in the area besides the two visited in this thread.  You can even use the street view to see some exposures from the road.  Some exposures seem to have more rock in addition to clay.perhaps they are the source of the matrix specimens.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Cool Max! That must have been a really interesting trip. We visit France every summer but I have never heard of Carniol. Maybe I can look for it next summer! Thanks again for the ammonites.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Thanks for the info, Max! Yes, that was the specimen.

16 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Some exposures seem to have more rock

Yes, there are some angular pieces of rocks (some sort of sandstone?) and even some boulders of hard rocks in some photos of Max. But I think, they are not the host rock of the ammonites etc.

Situation could be quite similar to the "Florianer Schichten". Drying followed by wetting let them usually crumple apart, with the fossils lying in a more or less hard "soil". Fresh from an actual outcrop, the matrix is usually quite stable.

Maybe someone on the forum has experience with the actual host rock of the ammonites (e.g. has dug into the fossil layer)?

Franz Bernhard

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

If you use Google Maps or Google Earth in satellite view to look around Carniol there seems to be several exposures in the area besides the two visited in this thread.  You can even use the street view to see some exposures from the road.  Some exposures seem to have more rock in addition to clay.perhaps they are the source of the matrix specimens.

Don

Here are the two I went to (first red, second yellow). I can't see any other big definitive ones, where did you see them?

Untitled.png.eb72d1cbc25e7d059df874a73030b2ef.png

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for the info, Max! Yes, that was the specimen.

Yes, there are some angular pieces of rocks (some sort of sandstone?) and even some boulders of hard rocks in some photos of Max. But I think, they are not the host rock of the ammonites etc.

Situation could be quite similar to the "Florianer Schichten". Drying followed by wetting let them usually crumple apart, with the fossils lying in a more or less hard "soil". Fresh from an actual outcrop, the matrix is usually quite stable.

Maybe someone on the forum has experience with the actual host rock of the ammonites (e.g. has dug into the fossil layer)?

Franz Bernhard

I actually did try to dig a little bit (maybe 20 cm deep), hoping there would be some better preserved specimens. Weirdly, I didn't see any fossils at all. Seems like the fossils only appear on the surface of the clay, and as soon as you dig a little they mysteriously all disappear... :headscratch:

Max Derème

1 hour ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Cool Max! That must have been a really interesting trip. We visit France every summer but I have never heard of Carniol. Maybe I can look for it next summer! Thanks again for the ammonites.

Thanks! Sure was an interesting trip. 

Where in France do you go? Carniol is in the south-east of France, so unless you're in the Provence region it might be kinda far away from you... There are many other locations though all around France, several fantastic ones, so it's definitely worth asking your parents which part of France you'll be in then research which accessible locations are nearby. I can help with that too if you're having trouble. 

Glad you liked the ammonites btw :) 

Max Derème

24 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Seems like the fossils only appear on the surface of the clay, and as soon as you dig a little they mysteriously all disappear...

That is very valuable info! Could it be that the fossils are coming down from higher up the hills? And I am getting the feeling, that this two localities are some sort of landslide - but thats just a feeling.

Whats written in the book of Gero Moosleitner?

Carniol expert urgently needed ;)!

Franz Bernhard

Wow!!! That's a really amazing site and a nice haul!! Too bad, I'll probably never have the chance to collect there myself. Thanks for posting Max!

9 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations. Your wonderful haul of beautiful specimens makes me want to go there. Maybe someday.

8 hours ago, Wolf89 said:

Wow!!! That's a really amazing site and a nice haul!! Too bad, I'll probably never have the chance to collect there myself. Thanks for posting Max!

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

NICE!!

Thanks guys!!!

Max Derème

18 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

That is very valuable info! Could it be that the fossils are coming down from higher up the hills? And I am getting the feeling, that this two localities are some sort of landslide - but thats just a feeling.

Whats written in the book of Gero Moosleitner?

Carniol expert urgently needed ;)!

Franz Bernhard

I did indeed suspect that they come from higher up the hills, but I am really not sure. It's the only good explanation I can come up with to explain their surface occurence. I'll check next year by climbing a little higher on the hill and to see whether that's where the fossils really come from. 

A landslide could be possible, but I am not sure. It must be a pretty old one if it is that, because it's rather stable and doesn't show any signs of a recent landfall (in my inexperienced eyes, that is). 

Max Derème

35 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I'll check next year by climbing a little higher on the hill

Fine, that you will visit the sites again! In the meantime, lots of time for Carniol experts to comment on this enigma ;).

Has anybody access to the book of Gero Moosleitner?
Franz Bernhard

This is a little off-topic, but I just noticed this and it made me happy: for the first time (I think) since I joined the forum, I'm on top of the "Most Informative Members of the Week" little ranking, with 91 informatives! (I'm one of those lame people that takes a bit of pride in that sorta thing hahaha :P )

Anyways I think it's mostly thanks to all the people that gave me informatives on this topic, so thanks everyone! :D 

Max Derème

Thanks for taking us along on your fossil-hunting adventure in France, Max!  I, too, like your diplobelenid belemnites (although I do like all cephalopods, I must admit :P) - are those the phragmocones that you have there, or are they entire belemnite specimens?  

Hi,

There are several municipalities in the Carniol area that have gray clay areas like there. I remember visiting one that didn't contain any fossils but I don't know the name of the place anymore. So all the clay areas in the south don't harbor these treasures...

Like Max, I did some digging to try to find ammonites of better quality, but neither did I ever find an ammonite in place, I never understood why.  On the other hand, as soon as we dig we find the layers in place.

As for a possible scree, I found as much ammonite on the inclined parts as on large flat areas, so for me they don't come from higher.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanks, Coco, for sharing your experience there!

6 minutes ago, Coco said:

On the other hand, as soon as we dig we find the layers in place.

If I unterstand correctly, the bedrock (the original, undisturbed clay layers) is not deeply buried below redeposited/washed down clay (wiht ammos etc on the surface). But the undisturbed clay layers do not contain any fossils.

11 minutes ago, Coco said:

As for a possible scree, I found as much ammonite on the inclined parts as on large flat areas, so for me they don't come from higher.

How high on the slopes was the "highest" ammonite found, @Coco, @Max-fossils?

Franz Bernhard