ScheurmanAcres

i have 11 acres of farmland, and i found a ravine behind my barn. at the mouth of the ravine is either a hog holler, or animal holler, or a hole leading down into a cavern, idk yet. i am clearing it off this weekend carefully, and weedhacking it, and raking it. i would like to open this area up as a dig site, and i need assistance in how to properly achieve this. i would just start digging but i am afraid i will damage some fossil or something if i do not do it properly. there are 5 lakes within a thousand yards of the ravine, but they are either on a golf course, landlocked, or inaccessible private land/pine farm. i am seeking to dig in my area, and if anything is found, it would be proof more exists back here. this house is the top of the hill in all directions, and the ravine is the last land dip before the next property starts. if anyone is interested in contacting me, [send a PM] serious inquiries only please, i will respond with google earth images of the land, and dig site area circled. while the trees are still there, the google earth image does not reflect the last years land clearing my tractor and goats have achieved. if you are interested, please feel free to come survey the property with me and discuss the best ways to begin the process.

The whole enterprise rests entirely on the geology of the site. It has to be sedimentary rock, must have been deposited within the last 550 million years, and not have undergone too much alteration by geologic forces. Then it has a small chance of being fossiliferous.

To ascertain the probability of the first three conditions being favorable, its exact location must be known.
Overall, Kentucky has a fair amount of exposed fossiliferous strata, mostly Paleozoic, and mostly either marine or coal-swamp, so there is at least a chance for your hopes to pan out.*

Still, it would be wise to do an exploratory (assuming it does lay within a deposit with potential for fossils) to see what's there.

(Note that I altered the format of your email address to thwart the spam-bots. You were setting yourself up for a flood of spam).

* See correction below.

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Chas, his tag line states it is in Florida.

Just curious where are we getting Kentucky from?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Email address completely removed.  Interested parties can send a Private Message (PM).  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

thank you for email correction. sheesh. the property is in live oak florida, bordering camp weeds property, where the lakes reside a 50 yard walk in from where i am. the ravine is a spot here, on my land, and the closest accessible possible start of a dig. i need to know how deep will i find things, and what to do while digging though, and would like some help from either University of FL or a private professional. i am willing to assist in many ways, and have books on medeival devices and machines, and a lot of lumber to work with as well. De Re Metallica was a good read not only for blacksmithing equipment, but also for excavation type hampster wheeled man driven devices for mining heavy ores. the trees in this forrest are some of the largest red oak and water oaks around, and i have pines way older than the bordering pine farm. everything appears to have been very minorly traversed by anything besides deer and hunters.

anyone trying to even dig this area is stopped from the easy spots, like the suwannee river areas, and camp weed and its lakes are au natural. this is just a sweet looking spot here that isnt in the hands of the hard to get to agree people

Welcome to the Forum ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 hours ago, caldigger said:

Chas, his tag line states it is in Florida.

Just curious where are we getting Kentucky from?

KY is where the IP address resolved to.

Now we're talking Neogene deposits, and it is practically a given that they are sedimentary.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ok the water in my area is 3 part per million iron, comes out the well red. there is a scattering of lakes beyond my line, and a ravine w a hole in it on my land. i want to know if a breaking up meteor is in these lakes and if so can we get the snarge thing out? i had to put a 2000 dollar whole house iron filter on, and so did all surrounding houses. is it bog iron, meteors, what is causing this? i hope to god it is, bc i also blacksmith 

2 hours ago, ScheurmanAcres said:

to give you age of area, there are ancient oaks, with 3 in thick vines arround this area

When We are referring to age, We are talking about a geologic age when the rock was originally laid down.

From Your description of surface features it sounds like there is a limestone layer under the surface that has some sinkholes.

It is doubtful that a meteor is responsible for the iron in Your water.

Be careful near the "ravine" as it may be a collapsed cavern, and may give way to a deep hole.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

could the iron be similar to english/irish bog iron? or what is the source of the 'copious amounts' of iron here around thses lakes? i got a sample of my water tested, at 3 ppm...thats insanely high

5 hours ago, ScheurmanAcres said:

could the iron be similar to english/irish bog iron? or what is the source of the copious amounts of iron here around thses lakes? i got a sample of my water tested, at 3 ppm...thats insanely high

Please keep your language G-rated. We have schools and children that use our website, and we do not wish to have any word filters block us due to expletives.

Thank you. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

South Florida groundwater is full of both iron and calcium (and often stinky sulfur compounds) and I suspect so is your area. It occurs quite naturally and is the reason why those on wells for their water supply usually have to condition their water. I have a well on my property for landscape irrigation and any misdirected sprinkler head that is aimed at the house will cause the build-up of rust stains before too long. There is no need to call upon extraterrestrial sources of iron for this, Florida seems to have quite enough dissolved in its aquifer.

Cheers.

-Ken