Directions To Locations

wyatte

Hello, I apologize in advance for the questions but I am in need of help.

I am planning a trip to little falls NY - Can anyone give me a place/directions that I should go to there to start to dig/split rock?? I am not familiar with the area and any and all specific help would be GREAT!!

I also would like any and all info about 18 mile creek in NY. I would looooove to hit up both on a multi day trip. All I know about 18 mile is that it is near Buffalo - And this doesnt really help me much. I tried to find it on a map but apparently it is not reffered to as 18 mile creek officially (or at least on mapquest)

Another site I am planning on going to this weekend hopefully is Red Hill in PA - I have never been there and when I go, is there a better place than another to go to?

One last question is I ran into someone this past weekend in Deer Lake PA that said on a recent move across country he stopped in lower ohio and found some great fossils (especially trilos) I did hear of a place called Mt Orab - is this any good or does someone know of a better place?

I have some new finds that I am hoping to post pics of very soon - I found my first trilo at deer lake on monday (actually I found 1 and 1/2)

In addition to this, some people may know of a place in Harrisburg, PA called Rockville Quarry. Rockville quarry as I found out only hours ago, was filled in to make a solid ground for a PPL Electric Sub-Station. If you ever looked on the google sattalite image you will see the actual quarry - that image must be old. The cliff behind the station is still accessable HOWEVER, it is a cliff - and you must park ON RT 322/22. There is a road that passes under the highway called Roberts Valley Road - There is a pull off infront of the station but as I found out today, apparently it is private property. I received a nasty note on my windshield saying I was trespassing and that they now have my license number. (wont do you a lot of good in the commonwealth of PA if it is not posted private property or no, no trespassing signs then until they officially inform you that you are not allowed - which they need an official to do or, a signed letter from a court, they can not involve any law enforcement. Basically someone can just try and scare you.)

My advise to anyone and everyone, if you want to go to this site to search the cliffs - you can still find fossils there - I came home with a few (nothing exciting, I did not want to leave empty handed) but park on 322/22 and hop the guard rail. Highways are public property and it is only about 35 feet off of the highway. There is room for you to park safely and it is a very easy walk.

Hope this helps someone - and thanks in advance for any help about the NY,Red Hill and Ohio sites.

Life is what you make of it - Now Dig!!!

down here in texas we try not to go on peples porperty if we know they don't like it because some of them don't worry about the fine points of how to portect what they own.

six or ate of my frens have gotn shot going near peples chickens. (we doan hunt fosls).

<pawed (can't sign)>

tracer's cat

Guest Smilodon

down here in texas we try not to go on peples porperty if we know they don't like it because some of them don't worry about the fine points of how to portect what they own.

six or ate of my frens have gotn shot going near peples chickens. (we doan hunt fosls).

<pawed (can't sign)>

tracer's cat

What Tracer said. (What did he say?)

It's obvious that you are new to this and full of excitement - that's great. You have clearly been looking for sites to collect at but a lot of information that you may have come across is old.

You will not be able to collect at Red Hill on your own. It is a controlled site although they do allow club collecting trips. 18 mile creek? contact Hamburg Natural History Society.

You can save yourself a lot of time by just joining your local fossil club and talking to members. Being a rugged individualist usually wears out in a few years anyway. So does being a club member too, but that's the natural order of things.

Mt Orab is off limits except to the occasional Dry dredgers trip though the entire cincinnati area is loaded so it would be easy to find a spot.

You can collect at 18 mile creek at its mouth on the north side along the shore of lake Erie, though I would suggest pen-dixie for a person new to the area. Its run by the hamburg historical society and they should have an area exposed of the trilobite layer for you to go at.

As for red hill... you will have to talk to Doug Rowe who runs the site. It has been couple years since I was out there but the rules were then you could collect only when he is there. Thankfully he is there almost every day when the weather is nice. I would contact him though first to be sure he will be around. He will pretty much let you keep everything except really rare stuff. I think his email is ndrowe@kcnet.org. its been a while so i'mnot sure if its changed or not.

Archived