Here is another rock from a middle Tennessee creek. (Mississippian, St. Louis Limestone & Warsaw Limestone) It is full of tiny brachiopods, bryozoan bits and maybe a few other fossils. I would like to have the area circled in red identified. 

0D2286E0-B8D9-45DD-A701-E2769621B597.jpeg

EB1E4BC2-79FA-4913-9109-020FA6869568.jpeg

49DE7DAC-EEE8-4A50-8FA2-FFB1C8CF8019.jpeg

F05D00A4-75B8-4A8C-8088-C14B000C7D76.jpeg

The red circled area looks like part of an oyster shell. 

277_IMG_1151.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Neat hash plate. The circled area looks like a fragment from something oyster-like given the undulation of the plications.

Image from MyRockhound.com for comparison:

277_IMG_1151.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

Neat hash plate. The circled area looks like a fragment from something oyster-like given the undulation of the plications.

Image from MyRockhound.com for comparison:

277_IMG_1151.JPG

HA! Beat ya' by 1 minute, and with the same pic no less! :hearty-laugh:

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Well, it IS almost Halloween.. :muahaha:

Just to add to it, both pics are from the same site. I googled oyster shell fossil, saw that one & grabbed it. But I'm not sure about the "great minds" part... have you met my mind? :blink:

This seems like a good match! But were oyster-like bivs already around during the Mississippian?
Franz Bernhard

6 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

This seems like a good match! But were oyster-like bivs already around during the Mississippian?
Franz Bernhard

:headscratch:

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great material to try out  your macro lens.

I’m still working on holding my iPhone perfectly still, and experimenting with different lighting when indoors. 

2 minutes ago, BLT said:

I’m still working on holding my iPhone perfectly still, and experimenting with different lighting when indoors. 

Try resting you arms on the table to steadys your hands . Looks like you may see some interesting shapes in this piece.

It’s an interesting little rock with a medley of fossil bits in it. I’ve enjoyed studying it through my macro lens. :)

1 minute ago, BLT said:

It’s an interesting little rock with a medley of fossil bits in it. I’ve enjoyed studying it through my macro lens. :)

Hash plates are my favourite to photograph. Very interesting.

8 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

There are no oyster-like shells in the Mississippian. I think that a pectinoid with pronounced ribs and growth rings is possible. It also cound be a brachiopod.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I can't quite shake my first impression of a trilobite molt. 

Funny! That was my first impression, too.

6 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I think that a pectinoid with pronounced ribs and growth rings is possible. It also cound be a brachiopod.

Good suggestions! Maybe someone here on the forum has reference material/photos of such Mississippian fossils?

Franz Bernhard