Help IDing fossil

PastaP

I have no experience IDing fossils but found this one on a trail we hike with our dog daily. The location has lots of flat rocks just at the surface or under. The area is part of the St Lawrence lowlands. 

Thanks!

DFADA296-F898-4F9E-B2D1-AEB89553075D.jpeg

Did some reading. I was using baculite and orthocerus as synonyms, but that would be akin to saying a ammonite and nautilus are the same. Also they existed in different time periods. So uncoiled cephalopod or one of the above is a safer answer. 

• I found this Informative 1

It is a straight-shelled (= orthocerid) nautiloid in the genus Actinoceras.  These nautiloids had a large siphuncle (the tube structure up the middle) and camerae (chambers on the sides) filled with dense secondary deposits.  This weighted the shell, and it is thought that the actinocerids were predators that prowled the sea floor (sort of like modern octopuses), in contrast to other nautiloids that had shells without deposits and were active pelagic swimming predators (sort of like modern squid).  These fossils are common in some of the more massive Ordovician limestone formations (such as the Gull River) in southern Ontario and the Ottawa area.

Don

• I found this Informative 3