Hey, you got fossils in my obsidian!

InfoHungryMom

I am figuring this “Fossil ID thing”!  Please let me know if these pictures are clear enough/large enough.  I see so much in this obsidian,.... but I don’t know what they are!

So, is there obsidian in these fossils, or are there fossils in this obsidian? 

Okay.... this isn’t a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup (if you are old enough to get the reference..... dang, you are OLD ... like me!)

F8CFBE7E-6AE7-40F1-B303-57B95C0C540B.jpeg

73C3F032-5C13-479D-B82F-C3052729CDC6.jpeg

E71A1085-0B86-4A69-8DF7-0EE67469A88E.jpeg

E3130C36-BB72-402F-8687-08C75B512575.jpeg

Obsidian, being volcanic glass, won't have any fossils in it. They wouldn't survive the heat. That looks weathered & partly devitrified.

• I found this Informative 3

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I believe that obsidian breaks conchoidally, which could deceive one into thinking that there was a clam type creature leaving a fossil. It's just the pattern of breakage of the material. Maybe the OP is seeing something that I'm missing, but I'm just seeing those fan shapes, which are conchoidal. Note: I am not expert on this. I just remember reading it recently when researching a piece of obsidian that I have.

conchoidal definition

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

UGH!!!   @Dave64, yer killing me here!  

MrR- interesting, thank you! But.... there is non-Obsidian material in the center?  Nah.  You’re both right.

Pele insinuated that SHE, PERSONALLY, threw some stuff in that obsidian “before she spit it out”... but FINE!

Okay.... posting some boring stuff (I think) and then hoping for some more answers!  

(And thank you both...!)

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

Obsidian, being volcanic glass, won't have any fossils in it. They wouldn't survive the heat.

That's correct!

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 4 years later...

The majority of fossils are found in sedimentary rocks. Organisms become trapped within sediment layers due to the action of water, wind or gravity. Fossils can sometimes be found in metamorphic rocks formed from fossiliferous sedimentary rocks altered by heat and pressure. Fossils can even be found in igneous rock created from lahars or pyroclastic flows that entomb trees or other organisms.

so Would that indicate then that actuality Yes its Plausible !!
im not trying to say yes, fossils can exist within obsidian- no - 

tho fossils may exists on the outside of obsidian? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

as in Imprint ( probably not ) and as in Compression- plausible !! 
Say as a lake bed with creatures trapped in sediment— 

the obsidian flow erupts - travels through the sediment until flow stops and obsidian occurs rapidly - 

so perhaps some thing was in the sediment - the lava flow heat destroys the thing .yer the sediment recorded its shape and then

the obsidian flowed into the shape ( now a mold ) and hardens into the obsidian that we came along and uncovered and extracted from the sediment ( ground ) Long after the Lake was depleted.. 

38 minutes ago, Crash said:

The majority of fossils are found in sedimentary rocks. Organisms become trapped within sediment layers due to the action of water, wind or gravity. Fossils can sometimes be found in metamorphic rocks formed from fossiliferous sedimentary rocks altered by heat and pressure. Fossils can even be found in igneous rock created from lahars or pyroclastic flows that entomb trees or other organisms.

the obsidian flow erupts - travels through the sediment until flow stops and obsidian occurs rapidly - 

so perhaps some thing was in the sediment - the lava flow heat destroys the thing .yer the sediment recorded its shape and then

the obsidian flowed into the shape ( now a mold ) and hardens into the obsidian that we came along and uncovered and extracted from the sediment ( ground ) Long after the Lake was depleted.. 

Thanks for dusting off this old thread,  I missed it the first time around... I like the way your mind works pursuing the possibilities.... When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I think the whole fossils in obsidian question is irrelevant to this case. I seriously doubt it is obsidian, or a fossil. 

@InfoHungryMom Where was this found ? Volcanic glass is not geologically stable.  I'm fairly sure the east coast of the US is too old for obsidian. I'm not so sure about the North Sea. Possibly it's a phosphate nodule ? 

2 hours ago, Crash said:

Possible, but highly unlikely.  Especially in this case. The rock does not even resemble obsidian. It looks more silicate based, like chert/flint/ or some sort of dolostone.

And what she was referring to as a fossil does not look like a fossil at all.  :(

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1. Crash responded to an almost 5-year-old post by InfoHungryMom, who has not been on the Forum since January 2019, so I hope no-one is expecting a response from her.

2. The material in question is certainly not obsidian, to me is looks very much like hardened tar, such as would be used in paving projects.  I am also not aware of sources of obsidian (volcanic glass) on the eastern seaboard of the US, but that might not mean too much as I am no volcanologist.

Don