Dave's Down To Earth Rock Shop 2018

Nimravis

The display of Mazon Creek fossils really celebrates the richness of that amazing fauna. Thanks for sharing. 

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

That is so awesome. Some SUPER cool fossils in there, if I lived around there I would go at least every weekend haha

I go to university 2 miles away from Dave's. I visit there a lot. Usually buy myself a fossil every time I score well on a test.

• I found this Informative 2

50 minutes ago, BLT said:

Btw, your grandson sure is a cutie!

Thanks much, he is not much into fossils, he is into playing the drums and loves Nirvana, Green Day, foo Fighters and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

He did leave Dave’s with some little polished rocks.

41 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looks like a wonderful place! I’ll put that on my visit list. Thanks for sharing! 

And that Helenodora is an epic find! 

I always kick myself for selling it and is one reason why I do not sell my favorite Mazon Creek finds. I found that piece split open from weathering and just needed to wash it off.

10 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I always kick myself for selling it and is one reason why I do not sell my favorite Mazon Creek finds. I found that piece split open from weathering and just needed to wash it off.

There are quite a few things I wish I never sold. But I made someone else happy when I did. ( That what I tell myself to make me feel better.)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for the photographic tour. Beautiful museum indeed.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Wow... I have never heard of this place.  Thanks for the info and tour.  next time I get to Chicago (next summer), I may have to convince the wife to get ourselves up to Evanston.  Excellent Mazon Creek material.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Wow... I have never heard of this place.  Thanks for the info and tour.  next time I get to Chicago (next summer), I may have to convince the wife to get ourselves up to Evanston.  Excellent Mazon Creek material.  

You would love all of his White River stuff in the stores downstairs museum. Take a look at the post that I did last year in October with I believe the same title, It has a lot of pics of those fossils and others- very impressive collection.

3 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Gotta respect a place with a Triceratops head over their door.

It would be fun to have several dino heads on the walls of the living room like deer mounts.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

59 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It would be fun to have several dino heads on the walls of the living room like deer mounts.

I know, right? Imagine having a T. rex skull over the fireplace... :trex:

• 1 month later...

I made a visit there last spring, and it's always amazing!   The Mazon display cases are my favorites!  I don't know of another place that matches the number and quality of the specimens on display.   The Field Museum has a huge and unbelievable collection, but there it's really that much on display.

Cheers,

Rich

2 hours ago, stats said:

I made a visit there last spring, and it's always amazing!   The Mazon display cases are my favorites!  I don't know of another place that matches the number and quality of the specimens on display.   The Field Museum has a huge and unbelievable collection, but there it's really that much on display.

Cheers,

Rich

I agree Rich- I think Dave's out does the Field by leaps and bounds. AT his shop you can see so many different species of plants and animals- I love it.

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Wow, what a collection. :drool: Thanks for showing us around Ralph. 

John,

I posted another post on Dave's about a year prior to this last one, I took pictures of the other fossils that he has in his museum. if you have not had a chance to see that, you should look it up, there are some beautiful fossils to see. I don't know how to add the link or I would have.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW ! ! ! :faint:

I can't believe I've not seen this thread before now. 

The items for sale are amazing enough, but those Mazon Creek specimens left me feeling quite faint. 

I couldn't possibly pick a favourite. 

Extraordinary. 

Golly. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

As an FYI, today I heard that Dave’s Rock Shop will be on -

E40DE309-57DD-45B0-9C35-529D5912FEC9.thumb.jpeg.656d6b4ea221e8d0cf65b23ef8e4d3a6.jpeg

DVR: "Prehistoric Fossil Breeding" :P Season 4 -- Episode 10 -- Thanks for the heads-up! :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png