Strange fossils in Ohio Rock

Yasei

Hey, I was fossils hunting in Ohio and found some pretty neat stuff, but one Rock in particular had some strange fossils in it, it almost looks like a little trilobite plus some other stuff.

IMG_20181028_064001661.jpg

IMG_20181028_063842048.jpg

The branching piece in your second post is a bryozoan, and not too far from it is a brachiopod. I'm not seeing any trilobites here, though. :unsure: Perhaps indicate where you see it, as my eyes are a bit blurry in the morning. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks! :) 

I don't think that is a trilobite as it doesn't seem to have the morphologic features of one. 

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks! :) 

I don't think that is a trilobite as it doesn't seem to have the morphologic features of one. 

Agreed. Perhaps some mineral stain from early diagenesis that became incorporated in the bryozoan fossil ?

I do see what could be a trilobite piece on the block, though. 

IMG_20181028_063842048.jpg.9228a6ab766f54324ef637ffa8ff7353.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You have a nice bryozoan with mamelons in the crook of your thumb.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The edge of something is revealed but not enough for ID. Maybe a close-up photo would show details.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

46 minutes ago, Yasei said:

What Is this noodle thing?

These pictures are clearer. I can imagine it being the edge of a piece of a gastropod, or similarly coiled shell. 

You might have to be content with the fragmentary nature of the fossils as the deposition pattern seems to point to a high energy environment. I don't think you mentioned where in Ohio you found this, which might help narrow it down to a formation or at least an age with the aid of a geologic bedrock map. I know there are considerable parts of Ohio that are Devonian in age, but not exclusively.

That would put this piece, in Montgomery Cty,  as being highly probable of being Ordovician in origin (unless it is an erratic from elsewhere, or from a Silurian deposit).

Here is a simplified geologic bedrock map of Ohio:

rocksofohio.gif

Archived