Displaying fossils with live plants?

TikiBird

Hi everyone! I am new here, and a newbie to fossil collecting in general. I have a question I haven’t quite been able to find answers to by searching on the site. Hope this is the right on the forum place to ask....

I have some fossils I am thinking of displaying in a dry aquarium, and I would like to add live plants in with them. Is this OK for the fossils? Will the moisture from watering plants harm them at all or cause any problems? (They’ve made it millions of years and I don’t want to damage them after all this time!) 

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum. :)

It very mich depends on the fossils. Many of them prefer cool, dry places, while some others are more hardy. Perhaps tell us what kinds of fossils you have and we could better advise.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you for the reply, @Kane! That makes sense. I will dig them out of their storage boxes today and post some pics. :)

Edited by TikiBird

I have some fossils and minerals that I don’t keep as part of my collection but I display them with cacti it makes ia very nice looking display.  :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

I would imagine fossils that are found in an active shoreline environment would be able to take the added moisture. But say from a dry land/ desert locale, probably not so much.

As Kane had stated, it really depends on the fossils themselves. How mineralized are they and what their composition is made up of matters a lot.

Dorensigbadges.JPG