Is this petrified coral?

Mykkhul97

Hi, in your two first photos and in the last one i see blocks of calcite. Does it fizz with vinegar ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

The specimen has a botryoidal outer layer.
Which part reacts to vinegar?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Were the specimens found in cave?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The whiter/clear areas look like botryoidal chalcedony, which can have calcite associated with it.

See if those areas will scratch with a knife.

Where were these found?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I scraped hard with a knife and you barely could see anything. I found them in a 5 gallon bucket in a barn. Almost every piece has the white sections. Some look like bubbles and some have mouths. 

1540759700842-361858940.jpg

1540759791016-1174845403.jpg

1540759867653-549068360.jpg

1540759920994-2027103083.jpg

154075998053592532575.jpg

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Were the specimens found in cave?

I don't know. I found them in a 5 gallon bucket in a barn 

1540760224189-1514009549.jpg

I don't see any coral here but the whitish chunks remind me of Tampa Bay chalcedony with the botryoidal bubbles and crystals. (see examples below 1) crystals 2) with botryoidal bubbles cut in half)

The 3rd one looks like a nodule concretion, pretty cool.

Like the others said, we need a location for a proper ID and measurements would help.

image.jpeg.6d740384596bd5bd1bf5158716d26478.jpeg

image.thumb.png.8621e2bce59d4b16799ededda4beb434.png

My first thought was agate, that was the reason for my first question. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 minute ago, Bronzviking said:

I don't see any coral here but the whitish chunks remind me of Tampa Bay chalcedony with the botryoidal bubbles and crystals. (see examples below 1) crystals 2) with botryoidal bubbles cut in half)

The 3rd one looks like a nodule concretion, pretty cool.

Like the others said, we need a location for a proper ID and measurements would help.

image.jpeg.6d740384596bd5bd1bf5158716d26478.jpeg

image.thumb.png.8621e2bce59d4b16799ededda4beb434.png

The people I got these from said Arizona. Some are the size of baseball's, golf balls and quarters. They all look alike. 

They are chalcedony / agate.

This is a common type of rock found throughout the western US (and many other places).

Usually associated with volcanic rock.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

They are chalcedony / agate.

This is a common type of rock found throughout the western US (and many other places).

Usually associated with volcanic rock.

So, I wasn't wrong on this. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with ynot they are white chalcedony found in Arizona. Do a google image search for Arizona Chalcedony and you will see many examples on what you have. The pieces you say have mouths are called chalcedony desert roses. (see below)

image.png

Chalcedony forms from watery silica gels at relatively low temperatures. The silica is often released by the weathering of rocks that are initially void of silica, for example basalt, and accordingly the formation of chalcedony took place very near to the surface. Chalcedony can be found in weathering volcanic rocks, but also in sedimentary ones, often together with agate. In igneous or metamorphic rocks chalcedony is very rare and only forms veins in cracks that have been percolated by warm rising silica-rich brines. Occasionally chalcedony is found as a petrifying agent in fossils. Here's a good link if you want to read about it.

http://www.quartzpage.de/chalcedony.html

" Agate is a variety of chalcedony characterized by either transparency or color patterns, such as multi-colored curved or angular banding. Opaque varieties are sometimes referred to as jasper.[3] Fire agate shows iridescent phenomena on a brown background; iris agate shows exceptional iridescence when light (especially pinpointed light) is shone through the stone. Landscape agate is chalcedony with a number of different mineral impurities making the stone resemble landscapes. " - Wikipedia / Chalcedony

" In the formation of an ordinary agate, it is probable that waters containing silica in solution—derived, perhaps, from the decomposition of some of the silicates in the lava itself—percolated through the rock and deposited a siliceous gel in the interior of the vesicles. Variations in the character of the solution or in the conditions of deposition may cause a corresponding variation in the successive layers, so that bands of chalcedony often alternate with layers of crystalline quartz. Several vapour-vesicles may unite while the rock is still viscous, and thus form a large cavity which may become the home of an agate of exceptional size; thus a Brazilian geode lined with amethyst and weighing 35 tons was exhibited at the Düsseldorf Exhibition of 1902. Perhaps the most comprehensive review of agate chemistry is a recent text by Moxon cited below. " - Wikipedia / Agate

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

I agree with ynot they are white chalcedony found in Arizona. Do a google image search for Arizona Chalcedony and you will see many examples on what you have. The pieces you say have mouths are called chalcedony desert roses. (see below)

image.png

Ok. Thank you for the information. So some of the pieces has imprints of patterns possibly from plants. Is that common to find both chalcedony with fossils?

29 minutes ago, Mykkhul97 said:

Ok. Thank you for the information. So some of the pieces has imprints of patterns possibly from plants. Is that common to find both chalcedony with fossils?

No.

There are no imprints or fossils found in this type of agate deposit.

Archived