NJ shark tooth (Pseudocorax sp?)

Petebeh

I did some fossil hunting with @Krystal in the cretaceous brooks of New Jersey, and we managed to find what we think is a Pseudocorax affinis, but since I've never actually had one in hand, I thought I'd appeal to the experts for confirmation. Thanks!

PA3 102818.jpg

PA2 102818.jpg

Pa1 102818.jpg

Sure is! I only know of 4 others from NJ!

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

The color looks odd for the brooks. Where did you find it? I have found shark and ray teeth in the Monmouth brooks that certainly did not originate there. I, of course, want it to be from Cretaceous NJ but a little caution is needed.

20 minutes ago, Carl said:

The color looks odd for the brooks. Where did you find it? I have found shark and ray teeth in the Monmouth brooks that certainly did not originate there. I, of course, want it to be from Cretaceous NJ but a little caution is needed.

Since this species is found there naturally, it is likely to have originated from the stream. The chance of someone seeding/losing a Pseudocorax from some other state/area would be very low.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

44 minutes ago, Carl said:

We found it at Ramanessin Brook yesterday after the brook subsided from the 2” of rain on Friday into Saturday. There was no sign that another individual had been to this section of the brook since the water levels came down. Because we found the tooth on a gravel bank and not in situ, I suppose we can’t be absolutely, 100%, certain of its origin. However, the color is consistent with other teeth with have.

Just now, Petebeh said:

We found it at Ramanessin Brook yesterday after the brook subsided from the 2” of rain on Friday into Saturday. There was no sign that another individual had been to this section of the brook since the water levels came down. Because we found the tooth on a gravel bank and not in situ, I suppose we can’t be absolutely, 100%, certain of its origin. However, the color is consistent with other teeth with have.

Sounds legit.

Archived