Tomales , CA. Fossil identification

Wild Bill

Hi, I am trying to get some help in identifying this fossil in a couple of rocks that fell out of the hillside in Tomales, CA. in last years rain.I would like to get an expert to come and have a look at it. There are shell impressions as well as seen in the pics.  It is on my friends sheep ranch. Please contact me through this forum if you can help or know of someone. Thanks,Wild Bill IMG_5423.thumb.JPG.1aff206e781b7296210c39fceba0af8e.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

Hi Al,

Are you referring to the white wiggly shapes in the rocker the impressions of the shells on the surface. Could the white wiggly and curved shapes in the rock be the edges of imbedded shells?

WB

29 minutes ago, Wild Bill said:

Could the white wiggly and curved shapes in the rock be the edges of imbedded shells?

Yes, those are the ones I think are scallops.

1 hour ago, Wild Bill said:

the white wiggly shapes in the rocker the impressions of the shells on the surface.

The first is the cross section of the shell and the second is where a shell left a print when it fell out of the rock.

Both are from scallops.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you Al,

I really see the scallops in it now. It makes sense.  They were dying in the mud that eventually became rock. But I am now more curious. How old does this suggest?  The surface of the white area almost protrudes from the surface slightly in one of the close ups. Is this the original calcium shell or has that been fossilized? Is this of any interest to establish data on fossils at this elevation in Tomales. We were on a pretty big hill. I guess 200' above seal level. Was sea level higher then or upheaved by Pacific plate?

Thanks in advance. 

Hey Wild Bill, your photos brought back some good memories of roaming roadcuts/hills out there years and years ago. Scallops were pretty common finds but its worth looking very close as there were occasional bones and shark teeth. Here's one I found in nearby Sonoma County years ago....

5bd65f2dc2a9a_PectenSonomaCounty.thumb.jpg.cb678f875c5278a1067d54a73d461f5e.jpg

Yes all kinds of uplift/faulting in the area due to the plate boundary/San Andreas fault complex and other faults!  I dont know if I have a cross section of those messed up rocks...really interesting all of the movement--laterally and vertically...

Very cool finds! Thanks for showing us.

Regards, Chris