need a little help with this tooth

tenkart9

dear fossil experts!

as i wrote i need a little help with this tooth. i bought it today at a fossil trade show and the man who sold it, told me that it is a deltadromeus tooth from kem kem. so, i'm a dinosaurfan since ever, i'm reading a lot of books and startet to collect a few cheaper teeth like from spinosaurus or mosasaurus (which i bought at the natural history museum) but i'm really no expert on the fossils from morocco (or on any other i think). but i know that there is no known deltadromeus skull. so what kind of tooth is it? is more likely a carcharodontosaurus tooth? or is it "just" a big tooth from a species we don't know yet?

I bought it because from my point of view  it is in a good condition and (hopefully) not restored (but as i said, i'm really no expert on these things). what do you think about it? is it a tooth of good quality or was it a bad deal?  (if so, i'll try to make it better next time)

Thanks in advance to all who are answering my questions :-)

IMG-20181028-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0006.jpg

Edited by tenkart9

Definitely a Carcharodontosaurid tooth.

But, it looks like there's some infill on there. Which means it might be either repaired or it might even be a composite of several Carcharodontosaurid teeth. It looks a wee bit long, though other than that it seems like a fairly nice shaped reconstruction. Mainly the non shiny material near the tip looks a little suspicious.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

thanks a lot for your answer to my questions. i've tried to look for some cracklines or lines you would show that there was some restoring, but i couldn't find something serious. but as i said, i'm not an expert at all, so i'm glad i kann ask for help inhere :-) i attached more photos from the tip of the tooth.

i paid 350 euro for this tooth. is that okay or is it overrated? to be honest (although i like the look of the tooth very much) it would be a little bit disappointing for me to have a big tooth which consist of several parts of different teeth.

IMG_20181029_001409.jpg

IMG_20181029_001641.jpg

hi, yes, Carcharodontosaurus.

there is indeed some gap fill going on, but not sure if it is a composite tooth, from some angles the tip looks maybe a bit off. Let's see what the others think.
Anyhow, it's a huge tooth!

IMG-20181028-WA0001.thumb.jpg.5cd646cedc282b39705fde96307e8802.jpg.273f0af503711fb24b180e7c529c5fd9.jpg

thanks a lot for your answer. when i saw it at the fossil show yesterday, i thought that the darker parts are just areas where the enamel is worn out. but for a layman like me it's hard to tell i guess. i bought another tooth a few years ago (it was sold as a albertosaurus tooth from hell creek) and the part from the carcharodontosaurus tooth reminded me on the enamel part of the albertosaurus tooth. but when i take a closer look now, it looks different.

IMG_20181029_123808 (1).jpg

sadly one has to double check the stuff from Morocco, lots of unlabeled repaired stuff out there. There are some good guides here in the forum to help spot these things.

indeed, the hell creek tooth shows what seems to be a regular a wear facet  - nothing covered up ;)

yeah that's true. i'm a bit disappointed about that tooth (or the composit of different teeth. whatever it may be in the end) now, but he is still nice. so i'll spend some time in reading these "guidelines" i think. in the future i will probably focus on the american teeth again, although they are much more expensive. but they're worth it i guess :-)

and no i've got one last question to you about my so called albertosaurus tooth. i love this tooth, although it is a small one. what do you think about the species? the reputated seller described it as albertosaurus tooth from hell creek. how can you see that it isn't gorgosaurus or for example a juvenile t-rex (or something else?) is it the shape or the serration or the color? sorry for the maybe stupid question, but as i said: i'm just a ordinary dinosaur fan, but no expert on any real fossils.

IMG_20181029_144715.jpg

this is a wonderful guide for teeth from Hell Creek.
yours looks like a beautiful Nanotyrannus - but I am fairly new to the business too and still learning ;)
maybe you can provide a pic of its cross-section too, to help the others to judge.

thanks for the link. i'll read it in the evening, hopefully i can improve my knowledge about these things :-)

i compared the tooth several times to others in forums like this and i thought myself also that it could be a nanotyrannus.

IMG_20181029_143441.jpg

JoeS is exactly right on the infill on that Carcharodontosaurid tooth.

And the second tooth cannot be Albertosaurus if it's from the Hell Creek formation. Albertosaurus does not appear in that formation. If it's from the Hell Creek formation it's either T. rex or Nanotyrannus.

On a side note, loose Albertosaurus teeth cannot be distinguished from those of Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite