Lake Michigan

Jim K

We recently spent a couple hours looking for coral along Lake Michigan. While most of what is found is surf worn, there are still some interesting finds. As usual there were many more found than pictured, but I leave much behind only keeping the more interesting pieces. This is very easy fossil hunting as it is literally a walk on the beach. There are fossils to be found up on dry land but I prefer walking the surf line. On this trip we had our 5 month old Golden Retriever with us. As it turns out she loves rocks and would watch for my rejects and quickly pick them back up. Pictured are some of our finds.

_01F6160.JPG

_01F6161.JPG

_01F6163.JPG

_01F6164.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Favosites sp and Halysites sp corals

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The coral in the second photo is Halysites compactus.  This species is distinctive because of the very small lacunae (openings between the chains of corallites), which occur because most of the chains are very short, only 1 or 2 or sometimes 3 corallites long.

The photo below that shows another "chain coral", either a Halysites or a Catenipora.  The last photo is some species of Syringopora.  The total assemblage has a definatively Silurian aspect.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

Thats a very nice selection of very old corals! I like them. Thanks for sharing!
Franz Bernhard

7 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The coral in the second photo is Halysites compactus.  This species is distinctive because of the very small lacunae (openings between the chains of corallites), which occur because most of the chains are very short, only 1 or 2 or sometimes 3 corallites long.

The photo below that shows another "chain coral", either a Halysites or a Catenipora.  The last photo is some species of Syringopora.  The total assemblage has a definatively Silurian aspect.

Don

Thank you for the great information Don. Much appreciated.

7 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thats a very nice selection of very old corals! I like them. Thanks for sharing!
Franz Bernhard

Thanks. The age of these corals is what really draws me to them.

5 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I love these naturally polished specimens. Congratulations. 

We do as well. Once in a while I'll find a rough unpolished one.

5 hours ago, Carl said:

Those are fantastic! Can you wet them and shoot them again for us?

I'll post some wet pics as soon as I get a chance.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice corals :)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

• 2 weeks later...