Mastodon Tooth - Real or Fake?

FossilsandScience

This mastodon tooth was apparently found in Florida in 2016. The blackish spots look like they are crystals/minerals that have replaced part of the tooth. Also, on the backside, it appears that there is plaster from when it was wrapped up. I still don’t know if it is real or fake though. Please help! Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Doesn't really look much like any mastodon tooth I've seen (I've found several).  Look online to compare with real teeth.

I’m pretty sure it has been sliced in half and polished to show the inside. That is why it doesn’t look like other mastodon teeth. Thanks though!

Interesting.  I've never seen a Florida gomphothere tooth crushed like that by diagenetic forces.  If this tooth is from Florida, my guess is it was first encased in plaster ( common practice for sawing irregular objects), then sawn.  Within that sequence, the tooth was crushed in some sort of press . . . perhaps in the saw vice.  The occlusal surface was cleaned, but the plaster was left in the vuggy areas of the underside  to hold the tooth together.  My guess, based on what I can see.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I also have a mammoth tooth that looks likes it has been cut and polished as well. I got both of the teeth together. This one was also found in Florida 2016. Maybe they were found in a cluster or something like that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

39 minutes ago, FossilsandScience said:

So do you guys think these teeth are real or fake?

They are what's left of real teeth.  Now they are ALTERED teeth.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived