pcjr65

Image18.thumb.jpg.caf933a2bea9c5fb09887f1066b5d7fc.jpgImage16.thumb.jpg.639a3abe89ecaac3ed2ec6e8424d975c.jpgthis is 1/2" across, the opening is 3/8"

Image13.thumb.jpg.85e483c1c740404d95cf8b633541b36b.jpgsandstone matrix, calcite thingamacallit found in Meade Co, KY about 300 feet above the Ohio River. Thanks for help 

What was the name of that movie?   Ah yes, Aliens.  Don't get your face to close to this. :muahaha:

I think it is an upside down crinoid calyx with the basals missing, revealing a trilobite pygidium that drifted into the calyx at some point.   Ery unusual and cool fossil!

Don

• I found this Informative 3

45 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think it is an upside down crinoid calyx with the basals missing, revealing a trilobite pygidium that drifted into the calyx at some point.   Ery unusual and cool fossil!

Don

That sounds like something I would say and be verbally horse whipped for :D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

29 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Seems to have 6-fold symmetry instead of 5. Is that normal, unusual, or...?

Good observation.  There are a few crinoids with 6-fold symmetry in the calyx.  For example Hexacrinus is a Devonian crinoid with that structure.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

34 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Seems to have 6-fold symmetry instead of 5. Is that normal, unusual, or...?

that's why I can't figure it out, or find another photo in my books or online. It's  a strange little dude. I thought it may be a mutation...

This appears to be a Talarocrinus sp. Perhaps T. sexlobatus. These do appear six-sided, as one of the six "sides" is the anal interray. 

Talaro.jpg

I like crinoids......