Trustable Fossil Sellers

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone,

I have been wanting to add on to my collection by buying some legal fossils online. The problem is that I don’t know what online websites to trust. I was just wondering if anyone knows who to trust when it comes to this. I want to be able to trust that the fossils they are selling are real. So if you have any recommendations or know anyone, please respond. Thanks so much!

- FossilsandScience

A local rock, gem, mineral, and/or fossil club is a great place to buy, sell, or trade.  And certainly to learn more about fossils.

Hello, when you have participated in the Forum for a while the member to member sales topic will become available. There you will find an array of material and the sellers all members of the Forum; which certainly demonstrates they are smart and perhaps honest. :ighappy: . Also the auctions to support the Forum are a wonderful opportunity to acquire diverse specimens and contribute to a good effort. I have never seen any chicanery there. Wait I take that back! Some have had the poor manners to outbid me! Last, if a member posts a fossil they have purchased don't be shy about messaging them privately to inquire of the source. There is a thread somewhere on the the Forum about "mailbox collecting." This would be an excellent place to look for folks having purchased the type of fossil that may interest you. Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Perhaps members here may PM you their recommendations. We tend to avoid naming sellers in general, whether the opinion be that they are trustworthy or not, as there is a risk that the Forum could find itself the unlucky recipient of legal liability issues for what may be said here regarding sellers. 

That being said, there are a number of factors to take into consideration when we speak of trustworthy fossil retailers. For instance, some sellers may be misinformed about the specimen they have obtained and unwittingly offer it for sale in a way that carries forward an incorrect identification. There may also be the issue of ethical disclosures in terms of composite pieces, or the extent of restoration (and whether that is stated or not). 

Your absolute best bet is to scrutinize each object of interest independently, and not the seller's reputation. Keep in mind that not all objects sold by any one person is going to be "as advertised" all the time for a variety of reasons. So, if there is an object online that you are unsure about, please make use of our "Is it Real" sub-forum by supplying images and item description (in your own words, not verbatim). Our seasoned members will be able to provide their opinion to the best of their ability with the images and information given. Even then, there is some element of risk, and thus caveat emptor still applies. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived