Fossilized egg

Alaniack

Can someone please tell me if this is an actual fossilized egg / it’s hollow - and if so, where would I sell it or get it authenticated?

98BF4BC0-6BC9-428B-8264-69B77AD4C912.jpeg

63A39A8B-44AA-40B0-ADA9-8BA8EC29DA51.jpeg

5E02C72B-15CE-474D-9119-B4BDF3573F40.jpeg

E191CD00-0ACB-43F5-9B04-ED687FAE0F8C.jpeg

Your best bet would be to bring it to a museum or university, to have it looked at by a paleontologist.

As far as selling it, there are many auction/local for sale sites out there. 

I have to say, this is one of the most egg - looking items I have ever seen here on the Forum. 

Neat, whatever it is. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This piece looks like a weathered amygdaloidal agate nodule/geode that formed in basaltic type rock.

It does have an exceptionally thin "shell" , but the exterior features are consistent with this id.

Also I do not see any egg like texture, the "shell" is too thick for an egg and the likelihood of an egg retaining a perfect shape is not good.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

If that’s the case, would it have crystals inside? It almost looks like there were tiny bones in there (could be my imagination) but I was using a flashlight. 

1 hour ago, Alaniack said:

If that’s the case, would it have crystals inside?

Not all geodes have crystals lining the inside. Some have a botryoidal structure.

Exposure may have distorted the inside appearance.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I've came across similar pieces while hunting geodes in Alexandria, Missouri. Some times they're egg shaped, but we mostly find them with an irregular shape. I found one by accident when my screwdriver broke through and there was this yellowish pudding substance inside. They look almost identical. I'll see if I can find a few and post some pics.

...I'm back.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:52 PM, ynot said:

This piece looks like a weathered amygdaloidal agate nodule/geode that formed in basaltic type rock.

It does have an exceptionally thin "shell" , but the exterior features are consistent with this id.

Also I do not see any egg like texture, the "shell" is too thick for an egg and the likelihood of an egg retaining a perfect shape is not good.

@Alaniack I have to fully agree with ynot on this one, sorry to say nothing indicates an egg. That said, take it to a local museum or university which studies paleontology if you would like to be sure. Just with pictures, it is always hard to say and there are many details which could be missed if not viewed in person.

Archived