Pseudodechenella rowi (and introduction..I'm new!)

Al Tahan

Hey Everyone

I am new to the Fossil Forum but not new to fossil hunting! I am looking to connect with some fossil hunters form the Northeast US to get into some hunting in 2019. I went to school in Buffalo, NY for Geology and Earth Science back in 2009-2014. I have loved fossils my whole life so it was a perfect place to soak in everything fossils. Lets just say I did a TON of fossil hunting over a 5-6 year period and got decent at it :). I was able to learn a lot from Dr. Richard Batt who did tons of research on the Buffalo geology. Long story short....I ended up joining my long standing family business and I do not have something to satisfy the Geology and Fossil itch. Anyway....to the topic...

Pseudodechenella rowi 

This is probably my most rare and prized trilobite but I do have others that are my favorite for other reasons lol. 

If you are familiar with the book "Geology of 18 Mile Creek" by Grabau it has a nice layout of what you can find in the Wanakah shale of the Hamilton group. In it is this trilobite.....but it was called Basidechenella rowi (bad habit I still call it that cause of the book lol).......it was a great look trilobite but was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. No pieces....nothing...ever. I wanted to find it BAD but all i ever found was a Pygidium at 18 mile creek. 

Until I diversified my hunting locations......I starting hunting at the Type Locality for the Wanakah Shale for trilobites after a tip on its location from Dr. Batt. Some pygdidiums showed up once in a While but even those were rare. Then a stretch of beach 50-100 yards wide started being the only place I noticed they kept showing up. Then one day me and 2 friends found a patch of 6!! After that day I have seen 3 more completes come from the same area.....never found a single piece outside of that spot on a spot really. My last fossil trip was there in 2016 and I went to that strip and found a baby rowi complete and an eldredgeops complete. My friend also found a complete rowi that day but it needs prepping. 

I am going to attach my best 2 rowis (1 could use a touch up with an airbrush and it would be amazing!!), then a pic of all my rowis I've ever found (I don't know where any of my single pygidiums are). I think I may do a post with my Best Greenops and best Eldredegeops trilobites too if people are interested. I can also post some other Buffalo fossils if there is something someone wants to see. 

Also.....I have a friend with a complete rowi almost that is 80% covered with limestone and I do not feel comfortable prepping her fossil. If anyone is interested in working on it/giving me a quote or idea what it could cost please let me know. Its an amazing fossil...found but still hidden. 

Thank you for reading!! Looking to make fossil friends and plan Fossil hunting trips!

Al 

rowi 1.png

rowi 2 .png

rowi spread 1 .png

• I found this Informative 4

Welcome to the forum from California :)

Those are some amazing trilobites!

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Hello and welcome to the forum! I see that you are in Utica. I Live just outside of Syracuse. There are some nice hunting spots not to far from you. I am always open to meeting up with people to hunt with. 

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hello Al Tehan,

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. As a Western New Yorker who has spent decades searching the Shales of this area; you will enjoy many more treasures to come. If I may suggest joining the Hamburg Natural History Society, there are many dedicated fossil hunters like yourself. Exposure to others can diversify your interests and successes. As a side note: I miss seeing Rick Batt since his move to Florida.

Welcome to the Forum from Connecticut, Al. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

@fossilcrazy is it an issue I live 3 hours away from Buffalo now? I’m oretty sure they do fossil trips 

Not an issue. I'm a member, and I live three hours away in Southwestern Ontario. Membership gives you free access to Penn Dixie, including on days they are not open to the public (with the caveat that you use their web-form or phone in advance to notify them of when you will be on site).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You have some great spots nearby. 

We'll have to get you out with us for some of the Forum meet ups. :) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

3 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

@fossilcrazy is it an issue I live 3 hours away from Buffalo now? I’m oretty sure they do fossil trips 

I hope not.  I'm a member and I live in Georgia, 1,000 miles away.

Very nice trilobites BTW! :wub: :envy: That species is still on my wish list, I have only a couple of pygidia.

Don

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

You have some great spots nearby. 

We'll have to get you out with us for some of the Forum meet ups. :) 

As Fossildude19 has mentioned we do group hunt with forum members. Usually in the Hamilton, Earlville, and Morrisville vicinity. There are good sites for Devonian fossils. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:35 PM, Al Tahan said:

...I have a friend with a complete rowi almost that is 80% covered with limestone and I do not feel comfortable prepping her fossil. If anyone is interested in working on it/giving me a quote or idea what it could cost please let me know. Its an amazing fossil...found but still hidden. 

@Ptychodus04 does good work.

Nice trilobites You have.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

@Ptychodus04 does good work.

Nice trilobites You have.

Thanks Tony. :D

@Al Tahan send me a PM with some pics of the trilobite needing some love and we can chat.

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I hope not.  I'm a member and I live in Georgia, 1,000 miles away.

Very nice trilobites BTW! :wub: :envy: That species is still on my wish list, I have only a couple of pygidia.

Don

Thanks Don! They are my most rare trilobites by far. 

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

As Fossildude19 has mentioned we do group hunt with forum members. Usually in the Hamilton, Earlville, and Morrisville vicinity. There are good sites for Devonian fossils. 

Where can I find the information on the forum meet ups?? I’m very interested 

6 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Where can I find the information on the forum meet ups?? I’m very interested 

We usually start a topic under the Fossil Hunting Trips section, or we may converse via Private Messaging. :) 

Smashing trilobite. :wub:

And a very warm welcome to the Forum from Morocco! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I helped organize our TFF meet ups at Deep Springs Road quarry near Hamilton. We have been getting together there twice a year. Our last trip was last month. Because it's November it's unlikely we'll be going again till the spring. A number of TFF members including Fossildude19 and Darktooth and myself regularly visit Central NY and the Mohawk Valley to collect. We could let you know when that happens. Also, the New York Paleontological Society had an outing in the Mohawk Valley last Saturday. You might consider joining them. By the way your Basidechenella rowi are wonderful specimens of a rare trilobite. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing.

:Welcome-crab: 

Welcome to The Fossil Forum :tff: from Massachusetts, Al.  I'm glad you found us. I always enjoy our TFF collecting trips in New York and hope to see you at one in the Spring.

You've made some great finds!  :trilosurprise:  Thanks for posting them.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, Jeffrey P said:

I helped organize our TFF meet ups at Deep Springs Road quarry near Hamilton. We have been getting together there twice a year. Our last trip was last month. Because it's November it's unlikely we'll be going again till the spring. A number of TFF members including Fossildude19 and Darktooth and myself regularly visit Central NY and the Mohawk Valley to collect. We could let you know when that happens. Also, the New York Paleontological Society had an outing in the Mohawk Valley last Saturday. You might consider joining them. By the way your Basidechenella rowi are wonderful specimens of a rare trilobite. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Excellent!!! I’m 100% interested. I will be paying attention for CNY fossil trips