drbush

Dear friends can you help me with this?

It is a large gastropod.  Pterocera ? 

It was a surface find near the city of Rmah 50 km to the east of Riyadh city, the capital of Saudi Arabia.

The area is Cretaceous, Aruma Formation, the fossil is large, incomplete , internal mold , 11.5 cm long  , 7cm wide.

IMG_2018-10-31_09-07-13.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

It's usually extremely difficult to identify gastropods from an internal mold. The ornament that distinguishes them is on the outside of the shell.

Perhaps someone will recognize this as a special circumstance where the options are limited, or there is something unique about it though.

• I found this Informative 3

• I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Good morning , after reading some articles (thank you abyssunder for the informative article) , i think it could be " Campanile giganteum " , am i Wright ? 

Campanile giganteum is an Eocene species while your rocks are Cretaceous. Keep on looking. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campanile_giganteum

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

13 hours ago, drbush said:

Good morning , after reading some articles (thank you abyssunder for the informative article) , i think it could be " Campanile giganteum " , am i Wright ? 

That was my first thought considering its large dimensions, but if you are sure is not transported material from younger strata (e.g. Umm er Rhadhuma Fm. - you said it was a surface find), the possibility of being Campanile sp. may not be excluded, but could be minor. Campanile (or similar) species are known from the lower to upper stages of the Upper Cretaceous of Oman, Egypt, United Arab Emirates - to the Oligocene of Oman.
Most of the specimens collected for study from those arid areas lack the external shell morphology (being steinkerns), so it's hard to assign them to a correct taxon.
Longitudinal sections may help in the ID, but not in all cases. :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library