November 2018 Finds of the Month Entries

digit

7 minutes ago, PaleozoicParty said:

I loved finding these little things when I was at U-Dig! I didn't know what these were called until now.

You may see Itagnostus interstrictus called Peronopsis interstricta. They are synonyms for the same species. Generally, older texts have Peronopsis interstricta and the newer ones have Itagnostus interstrictus. 

• I found this Informative 2

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

On 11/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, PFOOLEY said:

Invertebrate

Coilopoceras inflatum

Upper Cretaceous (Turonian) Juana Lopez Mbr. of the Mancos Shale

Sandoval County, NM (USA)

Discovered: November 9th, 2018

PicsArt_11-11-11_34_04.thumb.jpg.4d8ac61440662526c7b18e6ee11695c5.jpg

The Mancos Shale has some nice Ammonoids in it. Yours reminds me of the giant ones in the United Kingdom.:envy:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

@UtahFossilHunter the trilo is huge compared to other denizens of its tribe. Chief?????? Same with the big ole' ammo @PFOOLEY. Must have been quite heavy. Nice finds all round! I wish I could find similar things but it's just shark teeth for now.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

On 11/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, PFOOLEY said:

Invertebrate

Coilopoceras inflatum

Upper Cretaceous (Turonian) Juana Lopez Mbr. of the Mancos Shale

Sandoval County, NM (USA)

Discovered: November 9th, 2018

PicsArt_11-11-11_34_04.thumb.jpg.4d8ac61440662526c7b18e6ee11695c5.jpg

Wow! Thats absolutely amazing Pfooley! :faint:

...I'm back.

@PFOOLEY That's one really neat ammonite :D Congrats again on finding that one!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

53 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@PFOOLEY That's one really neat ammonite :D Congrats again on finding that one!!

-Christian

4 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

...Same with the big ole' ammo @PFOOLEY. Must have been quite heavy...

15 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

The Mancos Shale has some nice Ammonoids in it. Yours reminds me of the giant ones in the United Kingdom.:envy:

16 hours ago, KimTexan said:

That is an awesome and exciting find! And indeed one fat ammo. So happy for you. Your excitement is written all over your face. Love the selfie pic. Can’t imagine how heavy it was to carry out. Hope you didn’t have to hike too far out.

What are the measurements on it?

The Mancos Shale does have some really nice Ammonites!...and definitely why I never stop looking for them. :) I keep a woven seed sack and some heavy pillow cases at the bottom of my bag for just such occasions...slinging a beast like this over your shoulder is a bit easier than trying to hold it while hiking. The steinkern is solid calcite and pretty darn heavy, luckily I was not terribly far from the truck. Measuring at a whopping 18 inches, Coilopoceras inflatum  was a Turonian beast, and you're right, at this size it could almost fit into Terry Dactyll's collection. :P  Thanks for your comments, I am glad there is a place to showcase such monster! 

18inch.thumb.jpg.5d6fcfa59156c5f0cfb86c84c996bcac.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

On 11/15/2018 at 8:39 PM, UtahFossilHunter said:

Invertebrate

This massive beast was found November 3rd, 2018. Thought to be a blind, parasitic trilobite, its name is Itagnostus interstrictus

This trilobite is from the Wheeler Shale in the House Range, Utah and was alive during the Middle Cambrian. While this was found in North America it can be found in many locations across the world. This makes this species an important biostratigraphic tool for correlating the same rock age across the globe. Measuring in at a gigantic 8.5mm, this is almost double the average size of a Itagnostus interstrictus. 

I aquired this while splitting shale near the U-Dig quarry in the House Range. The trip report can be found here. This is the biggest I have found in the several trips to this area. While Itagnostus interstrictus are frequently overshadowed by the world famous Elrathia kingii, this is their time to shine and who better to lead it than this behemoth.

That is a nice very large example of the species.  However, this is the first I have heard of agnostid trilobites being parasitic.  Do you have a reference for that?  What did they parasitize?  

Don

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

That is a nice very large example of the species.  However, this is the first I have heard of agnostid trilobites being parasitic.  Do you have a reference for that?  What did they parasitize?  

Don

I found it was proposed to be parasitic. I thought it was interesting. This paper (http://www.ijournalse.org/index.php/ESJ/article/download/114/57) mentions that maybe they were parasitic. That's why I phrased it as "thought to be".

This paper (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1475-4983.00080) goes further in depth into the subject but finds the idea improbable as they'd have to be parasitizing anomalacarids.

"Bergstrom's suggestion about parasitic habits is intriguing. It was based upon the resemblance of highly caecate agnostids to living parasitic copepods with a comparably well-developed system of digestive glands. The host was not suggested. Some caecate (scrobiculate) agnostids are extremely abundant and widespread globally (e.g. Glyptagnostus reticulatus, see Kobayashi 1949)."

The article they are refering to is "Organization, life and systematics of trilobites" by Jan Bergström, 1973.

I haven't found a website with free access to post here. 

As far as I know, it hasn't been concluded out of the question whether or not they could have been parasitic or not but it's interesting so I threw it in there. 

Edit: Link to Jan Bergström's paper

http://www.thefossilforum.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=525199 

curtesy of @doushantuo

Edited by UtahFossilHunter
Added link to paper
  • I found this Informative 5

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Perfect! Thanks.:D

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

Coincidence or "Boris the Animal's" long lost twin?

Just a coincidence, our noses are totally different. Otherwise...twins.

Monster in The Puerco

5bf01d8fb10ef_IMG_9860Panorama(1280x518).jpg.a6a6e8a66f0e1d51083c8293426d881c.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

On 11/17/2018 at 8:49 AM, PFOOLEY said:

5bf01d8fb10ef_IMG_9860Panorama(1280x518).jpg.a6a6e8a66f0e1d51083c8293426d881c.jpg

love this shot - makes your Coilopoceras look imposing and majestic.. almost like it were part of the landscape :) 

-Christian

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On 11/17/2018 at 8:49 AM, PFOOLEY said:

Just a coincidence, our noses are totally different. Otherwise...twins.

That's a stunner! A real big boy.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

This is a rib I dug out of the Hell Creek formation back on September 17th in Montana! I did the majority of prep work early this month due to a new job I started around the same time I got back from the trip. Another Fossil Forum user, Troodon, was actually there when I dug it up, and he assisted with the dig. (Hopefully this still counts!) I had to take it back in about a dozen pieces in order to get it on the plane. 

The rib is well over 3ft along the curve, and most likely comes from one of the following:  

-Tyrannosaurus rex

-Triceratops horridus

-Edmontosaurus

I haven't gotten a definitive ID on it, but based on the head of the rib my guess is T-rex? If you have any different ideas please share them! 

Date of discovery : 9/17/2018

Scientific or Common name: TBD 

(If I had to guess it’d be Tyrannosaurus rex)

Geologic Formation: Hell Creek Formation

State found: Montana

Photos of find:

Dig and initial prep work:prepwork.thumb.jpg.17f2cb374400c21ce60794118837de6e.jpg

Prep in progress: (I know it's not wise to hold it slung across my shoulder, but I wanted to convey the enormous size! I'm 5'3 tall for comparison)

RIBB.thumb.jpg.a9678d566e8db2ce048ffd3785bc9968.jpg

Prep completed (still needs a little crack fill and some buffing but it's done for the most part): 

rib4.thumb.jpg.f73ea9a5c5ea4f8f109d860e655baeb4.jpgrib5.thumb.jpg.6ad4568efb42114ea7af03d13a06537f.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

10 hours ago, Reptilia said:

This is a rib I dug out of the Hell Creek formation back on September 17th in Montana! I did the majority of prep work early this month due to a new job I started around the same time I got back from the trip. Another Fossil Forum user, Troodon, was actually there when I dug it up, and he assisted with the dig. (Hopefully this still counts!) I had to take it back in about a dozen pieces in order to get it on the plane. 

The rib is well over 3ft along the curve, and most likely comes from one of the following:  

-Tyrannosaurus rex

-Triceratops horridus

-Edmontosaurus

I haven't gotten a definitive ID on it, but based on the head of the rib my guess is T-rex? If you have any different ideas please share them! 

Wow, that's a spectacular find!

@Reptilia wow!!! :drool:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

10 hours ago, Reptilia said:

I did the majority of prep work early this month due to a new job I started around the same time I got back from the trip. Another Fossil Forum user, Troodon, was actually there when I dug it up, and he assisted with the dig. (Hopefully this still counts!)

I think we can all agree that there was substantial prep work involved to reassemble this puzzle so it looks like you have a strong entry for VFOTM this month. Maybe @Troodon or @jpc might hazard a guess as to the previous owner of this lovely rib?

Cheers.

-Ken

@Reptilia  Great find! :) 

Please edit your post to use the requested Format in the Rules. ;) 

Thanks. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Please edit your post to use the requested Format in the Rules. ;) 

Indeed. See if you can obtain a more precise ID from @Troodon or @jpc for a better identification in your submission (the two people that come to mind for a find such as this). You can start by reading the numbered rules in the first entry that started this post and making a "formal" entry with all of that information (repeated here):

*******Please use the following format for the required information:*******

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Photos  of find:(if prepped, before and after photos, please.)

Limit - 4 photos, please.

If you get a more precise ID to later to make a better "Scientific or Common name" you can add that later and I'll merge it in.

Cheers.

-Ken

@Reptilia Wow!! That's a really cool find :D 

-Christian

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I am not very good at dino rib ID, but yes, it is one of the three you mentioned.  It is very curved... so I would go with Triceratops.  

Nice job.  

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Reptilia said:

Date of discovery : 9/17/2018

Scientific or Common name: TBD 

(If I had to guess it’d be Tyrannosaurus rex)

Geologic Formation: Hell Creek Formation

State found: Montana

Photos of find:

Tremendous find! :)

Which ever of the three.

It turns out to be.

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, jpc said:

... It is very curved... so I would go with Triceratops...

To my untrained eye, Sue has similar curvature of the ribs... mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1542754926&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1c64-e30003012800&sig=sGL5VC_wfXIUfFTq0MZ5iA--~C

image.thumb.png.f2ae58c4e140c4291404fed843391ea6.png

figures from:

Brochu, C.A. 2003

Osteology of Tyrannosaurus rex: insights from a nearly complete skeleton and high-resolution computed tomographic analysis of the skull.

Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 22(4):1-138  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 7

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png