November 2018 Finds of the Month Entries

digit

To my trained eyes without Brochu's book in my hand, I say you are right.  

Ok, it could be either rex or Trike.  I will look at the ceratopsian book tomorrow.   

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks @piranha and @jpc for your help securing a probably ID for this rib. It's a great find and both the (current) owner of this rib and our FOTM will benefit from a more informed opinion as to its (past) owner.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

The above submission is going to be a tough act to follow but here is my first vertebrate fossil submission.  Apparently finding the tooth intact in the jaw bone is rather rare with these X-fish so I was very excited when this turned up this month on a trip to the North Sulphur River.

Found - 6 November 2018

Xiphactinus audax premaxilla with tooth

Ozan Member of the Taylor Formation

Late Cretaceous - North Sulphur River, TX

20181106_132406_resized.jpg

20181106_132716_resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

On 11/21/2018 at 8:05 PM, rcranch said:

The above submission is going to be a tough act to follow but here is my first vertebrate fossil submission.  Apparently finding the tooth intact in the jaw bone is rather rare with these X-fish so I was very excited when this turned up this month on a trip to the North Sulphur River.

Found - 6 November 2018

Dang, nice find!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Found - 6 November 2018

This is awesome! It’s massive too. Very nice find

• I found this Informative 3

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

16 minutes ago, Reptilia said:

Those fish didn't fool around. That is a serious chomper.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Dang, nice find!

1 hour ago, Reptilia said:

50 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Those fish didn't fool around. That is a serious chomper.

Thanks for your comments, glad I could share this with the Forum.  I have returned to that spot in hopes of finding some more of this big guy but no luck yet.  

Found - 6 November 2018

What's so cool is that it's not broken. Really amazing tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Hello,

My contibution to the contest is a „Laibstein“ with 4 Harpoceras serpentinum ( Lias / Toarcium) from Postbauer Heng, nearby Altdorf in Germany.
Diameter of the matrix: 50x40 cm.
The ammonites are 19 cm (left), 2 x 20 cm (mid) and 17 cm (right).
The left ammonite lacks the center. The middle ammonite of the triple row is patched.

4 Harpoceras serpentinum ( Lias / Toarcium) from Postbauer Heng, nearby Altdorf in Germany.

Found in autumn 2017.
Preparation finished in October/November 2018.

2017-09-16 12.23.57.JPG

RIMG2923.JPG

RIMG2926 (2).JPG

RIMG2922.JPG

RIMG2921.JPG

RIMG2928 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 12

On 11/24/2018 at 5:24 PM, alsatites said:

Hello,

My contibution to the contest is a „Laibstein“ with 4 Harpoceras serpentinum ( Lias / Toarcium) from Postbauer Heng, nearby Altdorf in Germany.
Diameter of the matrix: 50x40 cm.
The ammonites are 19 cm (left), 2 x 20 cm (mid) and 17 cm (right).
The left ammonite lacks the center. The middle ammonite of the triple row is patched.

4 Harpoceras serpentinum ( Lias / Toarcium) from Postbauer Heng, nearby Altdorf in Germany.

Found in autumn 2017.

Wow!!  :wub::wub: :wub:

Don

8 hours ago, alsatites said:

Found in autumn 2017.

OMG, that was really some serious prep work! Congrats to this find and the prep skills, an impressive specimen!

Would you like to tell us how you managed to restore both sides of this specimen (ammos itself and impressions)?
Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

+1 on amazing multi-fossil plate and prep work!!!! Congrats on that :D 

-Christian

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
The word 'assemblage' has a connotation that it was artificially arranged - hence I changed it to 'multi-fossil plate'.

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks for your congratulations!

@christian

If you use the term "assemblage", you might think that this is an artificially arranged entity.
We all know the montages of several ammonites from France or from Morocco but I can promise you that in this case nature has indeed created a work of art by apparently washing the ammonites together in the smallest space.
It s precisely this combination and abundance of ammonites in a confined space that make this find unique.

@FranzBernhard

Since in the rarest of cases a parting line is present, a preservation of the negative (impression) was not possible.

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, alsatites said:

If you use the term "assemblage", you might think that this is an artificially arranged entity.

Oh yeah, that's true - my bad :blush: I didn't mean it that way.... I'll edit it immediately

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

5 hours ago, alsatites said:

@christian

@FranzBernhard

In order for the tags to work You must select the user name from the drop down that appears when You type @alsatites. The tag will be highlighted.

Nice grouping of ammonites.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 20/11/2018 at 3:25 PM, Reptilia said:

This is a rib I dug out of the Hell Creek formation back on September 17th in Montana! I did the majority of prep work early this month due to a new job I started around the same time I got back from the trip. Another Fossil Forum user, Troodon, was actually there when I dug it up, and he assisted with the dig. (Hopefully this still counts!) I had to take it back in about a dozen pieces in order to get it on the plane. 

The rib is well over 3ft along the curve, and most likely comes from one of the following:  

-Tyrannosaurus rex

-Triceratops horridus

-Edmontosaurus

I haven't gotten a definitive ID on it, but based on the head of the rib my guess is T-rex? If you have any different ideas please share them! 

Date of discovery : 9/17/2018

Scientific or Common name: TBD 

(If I had to guess it’d be Tyrannosaurus rex)

Geologic Formation: Hell Creek Formation

State found: Montana

WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT 

You have my vote. Flippin heck.

• I found this Informative 2

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

One more invertebrate. Found at 18 november and prepared a few days later.

Clypeaster sp.

18 november 2018

Miocene - Burdigalian (16-23 ma)

Sesimbra - Portugal 

18nov18.thumb.JPG.f7a2954b8e18a99c18b664f5177278b5.JPGIMG_2513.thumb.JPG.d36a34baa829e5202d98149c4c61ab75.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

17 hours ago, Vieira said:

One more invertebrate. Found at 18 november and prepared a few days later.

Clypeaster sp.

18 november 2018

Miocene - Burdigalian (16-23 ma)

Sesimbra - Portugal 

That's an awesome specimen!