You want a fight? This better be coprolite....

InfoHungryMom

Here I get frustrated again.  This baby is about 1” x 1/2” x 1/8”

This BETTER be coprolite.  It even tastes like chicken.....  I see grass and green (a few are scratches but most are not)

BD73F230-D865-4DEB-8568-6E1DF0D5C3C7.jpeg

E202FF47-89F0-4E19-BDD3-DAF8BD7CD5A2.jpeg

CA4F770C-E9D2-42EE-87B0-D2602F82FDB9.jpeg

0DE607AD-3B97-4823-876A-9BF5F417340D.jpeg

I see nothing.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

ARGH!!!!!!!   But thanks.....

this and my other posts were found in water.  Does that affect the way you personally look at a stone?

12 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

ARGH!!!!!!!   But thanks.....

this and my other posts were found in water.  Does that affect the way you personally look at a stone?

Still no pictures.

Only in the amount of abrasion and any biologic hitchhikers. (moss, algae or small critters.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Now I see the photos. I don't know much about coprolites but if that's what you're after, it might be a good idea to study up on them. Good resources should be on the internet.

Maybe start here:  http://www.poozeum.com/home.html

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

1 hour ago, InfoHungryMom said:

I see grass and green

Inclusions of undigested material is certainly a diagnostic feature of coprolite....but what are the odds a piece of dung millions of years old would have green grass specs in it?  The key word here is undigested material.  Ichthyosaur dung, for instance, has the little hooks from squid in it.  

Another feature is shape.  Most often it has creases and folds in it......

Image result for coprolite

much like Fido's poo would have.  

This exhausts my knowledge of coprolite.  Sorry, but I think it is a rock :)

• I found this Informative 1

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

:faint:a few whitish lines are minor scratches- remainder are embedded in the rock72945501-E0E3-43A6-BB63-055C95C934CC.thumb.jpeg.60359fe7c1b025178803cbca5f2ba7f3.jpeg

86FF1696-6173-49EC-8BB3-1C10E1A62266.jpeg

D20646A0-6782-4C5B-90FC-DB6EC7785B52.jpeg

1DCE679E-DE83-4EEB-9A17-F7E408CDDF0F.jpeg

I good idea would be to state where it was found. Then it can be determined if coprolite would even be found in that area.

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I don't see a coprolite here, but,  I am not an expert in coprolites. :unsure: 

It is always best to mention in the first post of a topic where things were found. 
It is not always apparent that they are from your local area. 

Some things could have been found on vacation, or on day trips elsewhere. 

Separate topics merged. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I also agree that it doesn't appear to be coprolite. It looks more like a fossilized cow tongue. :P

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

yosuuucoprheefyqsologgeud4tww3rgyesllifernakristleanthc.jpg

A crocodilian coprolite from the lower Oligocene Viborg Formation of Sofienlund Lergrav, Denmark.

Milàn, J., Rasmussen, E.S. & Dybkjær, K. 10-09-2018.

DGF Bull.,v.66/2018

• I found this Informative 4

No offense but I am happy allowing @KARL @GeschWhat and @doushantuo be #1 in the #2 business.

Hand cleaner anyone?  Brain cleaner (“Braino”)?

Thank you though. EVERY time I list something, I try to figure it out before, and then research after.... this looked like what I had read about... and because I am looking exclusively in-and-around water, I guessed it could/would not necessarily look like poop... er.... coprolite!!!

One exception- I have received a request to find “ambergris”.....

Thank you all again!

1 hour ago, InfoHungryMom said:

No offense but I am happy allowing @KARL @GeschWhat and @doushantuo be #1 in the #2 business.

Hand cleaner anyone?  Brain cleaner (“Braino”)?

Thank you though. EVERY time I list something, I try to figure it out before, and then research after.... this looked like what I had read about... and because I am looking exclusively in-and-around water, I guessed it could/would not necessarily look like poop... er.... coprolite!!!

One exception- I have received a request to find “ambergris”.....

Thank you all again!

I think it looked close enough to warrant a fossil ID request.  I certainly would have looked at it twice.  I enjoy your posts and your enthusiasm and can't wait til you "score" with your first big find :D

I think the rest of the forum will enjoy that day also!  Keep looking! :)

• I found this Informative 3

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

You are all awesome!  I have so many items, and I know what obvious  fossils that are not from water look like- but I had never looked for fossils in anything before. For example, I was told this is a fossilized (Eastern) oyster shell.... (I am learning TONS about shells!). This usage of the term “fossil” is very different than what most people here are seeking!

39374761-440C-432D-8A48-1E226F11CBEC.jpeg

24C7BF26-1845-45B0-8D5B-5E1079AA3A03.jpeg

Without giving a general indication of where this stuff is found, nobody here can tell you for sure what you have. That shell you found could be 10 years old or 100 million years old. Without some context then it could just as easily be either.

TNC- I was just trying to make a point!  This shell is from Assateague, MD/Chincoteague, VA.  I am quite certain this shell is younger than me.  However, the way the ridges have smoothed out on both sides, the color, etc.  mean it is considered fossilized, but that is COMPLETELY different than the fossils found on this site!

i am a TOTAL NEWBIE here.... though I can probably tell you more about sea glass and “new” seashells from the mid-Atlantic than you can imagine!  I actually do educate families about what is on and around the beach-  why riptides are a huge issue because of sand-replenishment, why plastic is deadly especially to mammals, what is alive and what isn’t, that horseshoe crabs are wonderful and precious and save human lives and are completely harmless.... even about the “slipper shells” and “devils’ toenails” that live on the horseshoe crabs even if the crab is dead.

This is a new world for me and everyone has been wonderful!

18 minutes ago, InfoHungryMom said:

I am quite certain this shell is younger than me.  However, the way the ridges have smoothed out on both sides, the color, etc.  mean it is considered fossilized, but that is COMPLETELY different than the fossils found on this site!

Sorry, but I’m not following this train of thought. Are you saying that a shell that is water worn is fossilized, but not like other actual fossils in your area? 

I was trying to explain why I am so confounded and trying so hard to “gobble up” every bit of knowledge I can, and that every individual’s opinion sends me on additional research!  (Um... actually, could I retract my words and use “gobble-up” in a different category discussion than “coprolite” please?). :drool: