Trick (rock) or Treat (coprolite)

Wrenchchik

I bought this from a friend as coprolite.  Was I tricked or did I get a treat?   It was found in Midwestern US around other marine fossils. No other info.   Take note of what appears to be a tooth/jaw fragment in the 4th picture (just below the top).   Can get better pictures of the disintegrated imprints on it if needed.  Thank you :)

20181031_090147.jpg

20181031_090139.jpg

20181031_090132.jpg

Can you be a bit more specific on location found?  The American mid West covers quite a large area.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 minutes ago, Wrenchchik said:

Take note of what appears to be a tooth/jaw fragment in the 4th picture (just below the top).

I couldn't find it. It would help to have a single, well focused photo of this area.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

It sure has the general look of a coprolite but without better locality info, inclusions and obvious phosphatic composition, I give it a no.

• I found this Informative 1

@Innocentx  for some reason i could not capture the shapes of what i believe is from disintegrated teeth, as well as i can see it in person.  The green circled are what im referring to.  The blue is what I believe to be fish teeth???  

20181031_175028.jpg

It may have a coprolithic material resemblance, if not, it might be a remnant of a burrowing organism, but I could be wrong.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't see the fish teeth, but your last photo seems to show debris or parts that might indicate coprolite.  There are experts on here and they've been signaled to take a look. @Carl has weighed in, 

20 hours ago, Carl said:

It sure has the general look of a coprolite but without better locality info, inclusions and obvious phosphatic composition, I give it a no.

now we should wait until @GeschWhat takes a look.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

17 hours ago, Wrenchchik said:

20181031_174720.jpg

It does look like it contains inclusions in these areas. However, the area you circled in green does not look like a jaw fragment. It is hard to tell from the photos, but from the fragmented areas it does look like it is comprised of apatite (common in coprolites). It looks more like coprolites I've seen from the east coast. Too bad you don't have more information. :)

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

It does look like it contains inclusions in these areas. However, the area you circled in green does not look like a jaw fragment. It is hard to tell from the photos, but from the fragmented areas it does look like it is comprised of apatite (common in coprolites). It looks more like coprolites I've seen from the east coast. Too bad you don't have more information. :)

Hadn't noticed those possible inclusions - thanks for zeroing in on those. @Wrenchchik: any chance you can provide clear extreme close-ups of those areas?

Not a jaw fragment, but imprint of it.  What looks like anyways.   Really wish i could capture it. 

Thank you everyone.  :)