Dugong manatee dilemma

LONGOF

During my field works at Central Hispaniola I have been finding what appear to be manatees/dugongs ribs.  As a rookie in the field of paleontology, which I am passionate about, could you help me determine if these dozens of pieces collected, in an elongated form and that are pinching at the end, as ribs of manatee/dugongs correspond or not to these vertebrates? ? They are dense and have small blackish dots like some mollusk fossils that I have also collected.  Thanks, infinite thanks for helping me with this dilemma that fascinates me at the same time !!

fa6674f1-9594-44fd-95c9-db39bb78e983.jpg

f0f8bcf2-e0e4-49ec-97db-cda4a3f8e993.jpg

bd595a89-d13f-49e4-a671-e9092d36b556.jpg

These don't look like bone to me, but rather, infilled burrows. :unsure: 

Can we get pictures of the ends of the items? 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim, these do not look like bone.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

But what are these rip shaped pieces??  Kuphus, mega-khupus??.  I'm sending more in-situ pics to help me to determine this big dilemma.  Thanks, many many thanks !!

DUGONG01.jpg

DUGONG13.jpg

DUGONG17.jpg

DUGONG30.jpg

9 minutes ago, LONGOF said:

But what are these rip shaped pieces??  Kuphus, mega-khupus??. 

Seems too big for ship worms. Maybe a large clam or crustacean made the burrow.

It is hard to be sure on trace fossils.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a paleosol. Could the digger have been more squirrel like ?  

Of course that wouldn't rule out crustacean.

Thanks to all for these valuable comments.  The pieces are dense, solid, WITHOUT any hole in the middel, as the normal bones I know, so, are manatee/dugong rib bones solids??  Thanks deeply again!!

I am reluctant to totally disregard the possibility of dugongid.  Daryl P. Domning is the authority on sirenians in the Caribbean . . . You may want to search for some of his publications.  He is accessible if you email him.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Interesting finds! I like Harry's comments--those last several shots are intriguing and make you wonder a bit. Are any of the ends freshly broken on those last specimens that would allow you to see the internal details? Some of the examples we find up here in Florida dont show any visible internal structure due to preservation/weathering/mineralization on the outside but a number do show some internal banding and other very fine grained boney features. 

Here's a picture from the UF site of the most abundant species we find: https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/metaxytherium-floridanum

5bde5d9ebd2f9_DugongphotofromUFwebsite.jpg.d59fe22c5f9e6c209450e98843b00658.jpg

Please let us know if you are able to check with Dr. Domning and/or confirm that all are burrows/traces and/or perhaps some are actual bone. thanks!

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
added url link for photo
  • I found this Informative 1

The preservation status may be different to the ones of this topic, but I think the fragments in question might be trace fossils similar to the ones mentioned.

f0f8bcf2-e0e4-49ec-97db-cda4a3f8e993.jpg.a81af89e4c81db4c0fc405c31e600f3b.thumb.jpg.a6992faee2bc5a1c4ac5c79e49f3450f.jpg2.7.jpg.3dda59dfb39f510d4c106867a4d8cf53.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks a lot Abby, Plantguy and all of you!  Attached is a pic that would help with this dilemma.  Later I'll take internal/section pics.  Take care !

DUGONG08.jpg