Unknown fossil (horseshoe crab, shell?)

Crazyhen

Looks like it may be a horseshoe crab, but I'm no expert. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I dont know what it is, but I would sure love to go on the prep attack with this piece!  Looks very cool.

RB

awww... you just saw the magic word....  "crab".

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I don't think there is enough visible to be able to identify this. :unsure: 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The first photo looks different from the second. Are these 2 examples you have posted?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

5 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

The first photo looks different from the second. Are these 2 examples you have posted?

They are positive and negative plates of the same fossil.

The shape resembles the shell of a horseshoe crab but like the others said; not enough exposed to ID. Neat fossil though.

What is the geological age of the sediment?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

Devonian

Thank you.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

It may be a bit too big for a brachiopod. :blink:

It may also be a coiled nautiloid living chamber steinkern. Pictured here is a similarly sized one I found, also from the Devonian.

IMG_5139.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Can we see the other side of the slab?

Thomas Mann

My Library

Am I seeing some kind of carapace or shell material along the edge? If so, perhaps the two pieces could be reunited and prepped out from one side... that is if it is deemed to be possibly worthwhile.

Yes, a close up the possible shell material might reveal ribbing or some other indicator.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

21 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Yes, a close up the possible shell material might reveal ribbing or some other indicator.

F5E88AEC-C56B-444F-9DCF-49F51354B51F.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I still wouldn't rule out horseshoe crab, although, as everyone here is remarking, it sure is hard to tell without it being properly exposed. Link

This would be roughly ten times the size of what I can find reports of from the paleozoic. 

It also seems odd that the thinnest part of the shell would leave the best recorded shape while the thicker elements seem to be nearly completely unpreserved.

Archived