Odd tooth from South Florida

digit

While picking through some micro-matrix from South Florida (Cookiecutter Creek) I came across an odd little tooth just a tad over 1 cm long. The odd thing about it is that this little tooth has distinct side cusps like you might see on an angustidens (but without the serrations).

2018-11-01 21-20-58.jpg

Normally, the only shark teeth that I encounter in Florida that have side cusps are Carcharias taurus (Sand Tiger) teeth. I also came across a small tooth that looks to be an upper lateral position from this species with a broken and worn root.

2018-11-01 21-23-02.jpg

Carcharias_taurus_1.jpg

The top tooth almost looks like a tiny mako tooth with a relatively flat unserrated blade, but the side cusps are out of place and I can't quite place this tooth. I'm sure I've been at this too long today and I'm missing something. Anybody have a good guess as to the identity of this tooth?

Cheers.

-Ken

Upper anterior Negaprion teeth can have cusp like features on the shoulders. Here’s a jaw from the internet that has similar teeth.

B71714C9-5C73-458B-894A-9775C4977725.jpeg

Ken

I agree with Eric that Negaprion acutidens, sicklefin lemon shark,  is a possibility.  However, they have serrations weakly developed on blades of upper teeth in individuals 1.4 m long and larger, and absent in small individuals 0.7 m or less and whose extant range isn't along the US coasts, Compagno 1984 .

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Checking references to see if there are cusped species of Negaprion known from Florida. Also had Carcharoides catticus suggested as a possibility which I need to research.

I thought a labial view of this little oddity might make the side cusps more visible.

Cheers.

-Ken

2018-11-02 16-10-18.jpg

Archived