1.25" Rough Nanotyrannus Tooth I.D.

Stegonick23

Hello TFF! This is my first post (finally just made an account after some technical difficulties, thanks @Fossildude19 for your help!) although I've been reading up for the past few months on this site. I am looking to purchase this Nanotyrannus tooth from an auction site, and I have included all of the pictures provided on the listing. I understand that this is a very rough tooth (the seller clearly states this as well and doesnt try to mislead in the slightest) and I just want to make sure that it is actually a Nanotyrannus tooth. The seller states it is from the Hell Creek Formation, 1.25" long, feeding worn tip, and wear grooves from the opposing teeth. The seller also states that there has been no restoration/repair done, other than some fossil glue used to stabilize the tip, and a COA can be included following purchase. I'm just looking for confirmation that it is a nanotyrannus tooth, or even a tyrannosaurid tooth. I tried to include all of the info I.D. posts usually need, but if I missed anything please let me know. Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!

1.thumb.JPG.65bb84ce0a18f78741c5779fefc2aab4.JPG2.thumb.JPG.228080f613306985357b5e51aadfc122.JPG3.thumb.JPG.0c0b9952e6eb1550dc34f5c871a59f48.JPG4.JPG.3e38f90a4895a939f709e05063496c85.JPG5.JPG.8d0538572eb981bbe65b8a5e1ee76031.JPG6.JPG.7046edea125b5377184c3bb593c22d0f.JPG7.JPG.4bc34f29a7df7bb49b4d9b27bc4b096a.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I have also seen this tooth, to me the compression does remind me more of a Nanotyrannus rather than a Rex. It is in quite rough condition but I can still see a few serrations left on the tooth. But I think that @Troodon can give you the most accurate and best response possible. 

Regards, indominus rex

• I found this Informative 2

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Stegonick23. I’m fairly certain that what you have here is a very worn Nanotyrannus tooth. The base of tooth is characteristic, rectangular and compressed, of what is generally regarded as Nano tooth vs say a T. rex tooth. Pity the serrations are so worn. It is important to consider that describing  Nanotyrannus specimens as such remains a dubious assertion as science has yet to establish whether or not it stands as an individual species or as a juvenile example of T. rex 

Awesome, thank you everyone for your help! One quick question; does anyone know the reason for the variations in color between teeth of the same species? Specifically with tyrannosaurid teeth, I've seen a couple that are a dark brown color, a couple that are light brown/tan, and then some like the pictures above that are very dark, almost black colored. If someone has a link to a TFF thread, or other text, that details this I would love to read up on it. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Stegonick23 said:

Awesome, thank you everyone for your help! One quick question; does anyone know the reason for the variations in color between teeth of the same species? Specifically with tyrannosaurid teeth, I've seen a couple that are a dark brown color, a couple that are light brown/tan, and then some like the pictures above that are very dark, almost black colored. If someone has a link to a TFF thread, or other text, that details this I would love to read up on it. Thanks again!

I think it is probably the difference in colour is from  what ever minerals the ground water is depositing into the fossilisation process . :dinothumb:

Very nice tooth (definitely tyrannosaurine IMO)..

I'd call on @Troodon for the 'last say', but he's been fairly quiet these past few weeks :headscratch:

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I'm looking at Bakker's monograph right now, and it could be Nanotyrannus, but I have said this before:

theropod teeth assignments need: large sample sizes, advanced statistical treatment of the data, the ruling out of collector bias, a good taphonomical analysis, et

very much cetera.

farlowyy4twrwr3gyesllifernakristleanthc.jpg

Edited by Kane
Syntax and spelling error revisions

nanotyrbrusa1-s2.0-S0195667116300192-main.pdf

part of the discussion........../

Dentary groove morphology does not distinguish ‘Nanotyrannus’ as a
valid taxon of tyrannosauroid dinosaur. Comment on: “Distribution of
the dentary groove of theropod dinosaurs: Implications for theropod
phylogeny and the validity of the genus Nanotyrannus Bakker et al.,
1988”
Stephen L. Brusatte a, *, Thomas D. Carr b, Thomas E. Williamson c, Thomas R. Holtz Jr. d,

Cretaceous Research

It's a Nanotyrannus based off the cross section

• I found this Informative 4

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

@Stegonick23 It definitely seems tyrannosaurid, but don't quote me. I actually haven't seen @Troodon on for a while either.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I agree with the rest, likely Nanotyrannus.

Though it's not entirely clear if it's a valid species.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 03/11/2018 at 6:19 AM, LordTrilobite said:

I agree with the rest, likely Nanotyrannus.

Though it's not entirely clear if it's a valid species.

I feel that whether or not Nanotyrannus is the same "Nanotyrannus" that some paleontologist think of Jane or Bloody Mary as, these slender teeth are undoubtedly something separate from T-Rex's blunt and robust teeth.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!