Misha

Hi everyone, I am new to this form and would like to know if there are any fossil sites in the general area around Connecticut. I myself live around Danbury CT and am not sure what places I could visit that are at most 4 hours of driving away from here. I have read about sites in PA like St.Clair and Carbondale but I believe both are closed now. Red Hill is also around that area but I don't know how I would get permission to go there.

Also I don't really have a preference on type of fossil plants, fish, invertebrates, everything is welcome.

Thank you

Edited by Misha

caldigger

Have you checked the "Fossil Sites" topic on here?  They have threads of locations around the world as well as for each state in the US.

Misha

I don't believe I have, I will check it out.

Thank You.

Kane

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum from another Connecticutian, located in Central CT. :) 

Fossil hunting in CT is very difficult, as you need permission from private land owners to dig.  :( 

That is assuming you can find any of the sites.  :unsure: 

That said, there are many sites in Eastern NY that are accessible  within 1.5 to 2 hours drive.  

Shark teeth in NJ. St. Clair is closed to collecting, but there are still things to be found in Carbondale. 

Check out This Website. 
The information is very old, in most cases no longer accurate, and most sites are no longer available, but it is a good place to start your research. 

Welcome again. :) 

Misha

Thank you for the insightful information, I have been to Big Brook in NJ and found quite a few things there. I will check out more about Carbondale and see if I will be able to go.