reSTRIXTION

I have found two of these, the other is a third this size. Matrix was much larger, slightly lighter in color, been working at it with vinegar and water (alternating) for months now.

Not seeing anything fossil-ish about the pictured item. :unsure: 

Try taking photos in daylight. 

Please make sure to get front, back, sides, top and bottom. 

All straight on views. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

According to the tags, it was found in Kyle, Texas.

What is lacking is a measurement, and possibly images of the specimen from different angles to aid in identification. 

Judging solely by this image, I am not seeing anything suggesting fossil in this piece. It appears to be a weathered piece of sandstone. Perhaps the OP will indicate what features are fossiliferous.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, reSTRIXTION said:

As stated above, please provide something to indicate scale, such as a ruler or tape measure.

It has what appears to be scales on one end. I have photos from other angles I will upload. First photo was taken in daylight, just wasn't great quality as it was taken from my phone. 

13 minutes ago, reSTRIXTION said:

I have found two of these, the other is a third this size. Matrix was much larger, slightly lighter in color, been working at it with vinegar and water (alternating) for months now.

Why vinegar, and was there a reaction to the vinegar?

In this picture it is resting on a standard size, square washrag. The camera lens I was using at the time would only take photos clearly from at least a foot and a half away. Using a flash or brighter lighting only washed out the subject of focus. Darker lighting actually brought out more details, oddly enough. I will get measurements. They are out in my garage right now because they seem to be putting off some energy that makes my hair stand on end.

fullsizeoutput_606.jpeg

Let me welcome you to the Fossil Forum.  Your subject is very interesting.  Have you any geological info for Kyle, Texas?

Vinegar because it seemed safe and I am very new to this. Even with vinegar the "sand" seemed almost resilient though it worked better than just water. Brushing it dry seemed the best way to go but as i got deeper in there seemed to be scales and spines protruding from the specimen and i didnt want to damage anything that may be inside so I have stopped for now. The "buzzing" energy has come from another specimen that did react to an alcohol solvent that has spread to my entire collection.

4 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Let me welcome you to the Fossil Forum.  Your subject is very interesting.  Have you any geological info for Kyle, Texas?

Try this helpful item...  GP

https://texashillcountry.com/5-texas-hill-country-geology-facts/ 

This area was once under oceanic waters. It has also had volcanic activity and tremors and earthquakes. From what I can gather online, most specimens found in caliche in this area are from the crustaceous period. This was not found in caliche but nearby. I have found artifacts from the neolithic period in the same area.

The history of this area seems to be all over the place. It is very rich in minerals, including lethal ones, and radioactive fossils, which I have found out the fun way. From comparing my finds in this area to things I find online that are very similar in the type of mineral or sedimentary/metamorphic rock that they are contained within I have assumed that I have things dating across the geo timeline. When it rains, it brings up so many amazing finds. You wouldn't believe. I've never seen anything like it. The finds have been so diverse and different from one another. 

I'm not sure what you mean by energy as sandstone does not give off anything of the sort that can be registered physiologically. The amount of radiation in any of the sediments are at a sieverts level that is not likely to be lethal in sedimentary deposits, as it would be negligible. 

Judging by new pictures you have provided, these still seem to be non-fossiliferous. I see no scales. I think you mean "Cretaceous", not "crustaceous." It would be more likely to encounter ammonites in your area as part of a previous marine environment. 

Excuse my spelling. I rush through typing and make mistakes from time to time. I will try to spellcheck more often. The geography is very rich with an array of fossils as you can see from the two links I've provided. I have found vertebrae fossils and bivalves, corals, fossil algae, fossil plantlife, fossil fish, fossil seahorse and octopus, quartz, silica minerals, meteorites, Native American artifacts, some very old and some more "recent", trilobites, skulls and bones and other things I am still trying to identify all within the same area. The "energy" comes from the oxidation of minerals when trying to break through a matrix with alcohol, not from sandstone but from minearls such as iron sulfide, calcite, etc. Again, the area is very mineral enriched.

And we will look forward to seeing some examples of all of these. :) In this case, however, we are not (yet) seeing anything morphologically consistent with fossil material.

I included the link in response to someone's question. I didn't know there were so many technicalities in trying to get an opinion from people more informed. I suppose I should take my specimen elsewhere where there are not so many formalities. I think geographic information would be useful if you are not familiar with the area and its history when it comes to identifying a fossil from that area. But I am new to this so maybe you could give me a list of dos and donts to follow so I don't include too much information or a photo with incorrect lighting and measurements. I guess even being in the "newbie" category still requires very high, professional ranked standards.

5 minutes ago, reSTRIXTION said:

I included the link in response to someone's question. I didn't know there were so many technicalities in trying to get an opinion from people more informed. I suppose I should take my specimen elsewhere where there are not so many formalities. I think geographic information would be useful if you are not familiar with the area and its history when it comes to identifying a fossil from that area. But I am new to this so maybe you could give me a list of dos and donts to follow so I don't include too much information or a photo with incorrect lighting and measurements. I guess even being in the "newbie" category still requires very high, professional ranked standards.

It wasn't clear to whom you were responding to. As a new member, we always aim to help! :) When responding directly to a member, you can use the "quote" function and provide your reply or use the "@" prefix to tag them in the reply. As for the ideal means of using our Fossil ID forum, there are a number of helpful pinned topics for your reading pleasure. :) We absolutely adore as much information as can be provided for identification as it aids us in being able to help.

Thank you. That "quote" function is very helpful. I was wondering if there was a way to directly respond to each question because it was looking a little confusing in the thread.

1 minute ago, Kane said:

It wasn't clear to whom you were responding to. As a new member, we always aim to help! :) When responding directly to a member, you can use the "quote" function and provide your reply or use the "@" prefix to tag them in the reply. As for the ideal means of using our Fossil ID forum, there are a number of helpful pinned topics for your reading pleasure. :) We absolutely adore as much information as can be provided for identification as it aids us in being able to help.