1 minute ago, belemniten said:

Number 8: 10 cm long, probably Acrocoelites gracilis:

B8.thumb.JPG.c8acb98141673cbabf79365b407955ab.JPG

Number 9: 9 cm long, Acrocoelites:

B9.JPG.a2cfd01face36cb023824049768726b9.JPG

A huge thanks again to @TqB for determining them!!

Absolutely gorgeous!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

20 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Absolutely gorgeous!

19 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great selection of belemnites, Sebastian!

Thanks again Roger :) Too bad they are mostly (or all) Acrocoelites but I will prep some more and I hope that I have examples of different genera!

8 hours ago, TqB said:

A lovely collection! The matrix is interesting too - at least some of the debris looks like coleoid hooklets.

Thanks Tarquin :D

Thats the typical surface of the "Schlacke". I think these are mostly fish parts but I am not sure. There belemnits but also bones and teeth are commonest.

• I found this Informative 2

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 hour ago, belemniten said:

Too bad they are mostly (or all) Acrocoelites but I will prep some more and I hope that I have examples of different genera!

Acrocoelites is effectively a catch-all genus for anything of that sort of age (Toarcian) with three apical furrows. It's very diverse and is often subdivided into at least three subgenera (ranging from short and fat to long and thin). And there are all the forms with lovely epirostra... :)  But you may also find Dactyloteuthis and Cuspiteuthis for a start...

1 hour ago, belemniten said:

Thats the typical surface of the "Schlacke". I think these are mostly fish parts but I am not sure. There belemnits but also bones and teeth are commonest.

There's similar stuff in the Yorkshire equivalent and I agree it's hard to tell for sure with just little fragments. Probably mostly fish but with some hooklets.

Tarquin

Really nice prep work and thanks for sharing all of these photos of the work! Looks incredible and you have some amazing specimens. Prepping fossils like this is hard work and you make it look easy!!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

On 19.11.2018 at 9:01 PM, TqB said:

Acrocoelites is effectively a catch-all genus for anything of that sort of age (Toarcian) with three apical furrows. It's very diverse and is often subdivided into at least three subgenera (ranging from short and fat to long and thin). And there are all the forms with lovely epirostra... :)  But you may also find Dactyloteuthis and Cuspiteuthis for a start...

I think I have already some Dactyloteuthis in my collection but all my Cuspiteuthis seem to be Acrocoelites :D

I just prepped some more:

The first one is a nice combination of two belemnites. The larger one is 17 cm long and the other one is 14 cm long:

Be10.thumb.JPG.ffff83565b059568b19984db8a5db39c.JPG

Both Acrocoelites or Cuspiteuthis? 

The next one is a 10 cm long Acrocoelites gracilis:

Be11.JPG.e1d351b1019994ce9b3a344b37b3f571.JPG

Another 12 cm long Acrocoelites:

Be12.JPG.d8ba0aedc04f9ff853f02f282417f98c.JPG

And the last one is a 9 cm long Acrocoelites:

Be13.JPG.22da5ab3422ab0d73591f23d605474b7.JPG

Really like the color on this one!

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

49 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Really nice prep work and thanks for sharing all of these photos of the work! Looks incredible and you have some amazing specimens. Prepping fossils like this is hard work and you make it look easy!!

Thank you very much @Jaimin013 for the nice comment!! Really appreciate it :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Prepping those belemnites isn't that difficult because you can't destroy much and if you destroy something then it's not so catastrophal... But prepping those bones is more difficult. 

Hope that I can find some more good stuff in the next season. At the moment the quarry Kromer (where I found these things) is closed during the winter. So more time to prep my fossils :D

• I found this Informative 1

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Lovely specimens, I really like the double. A. gracilis is a beautiful species - it doesn't seem to occur in the UK as far as I know, the nearest probably being A. subtenuis which is always a lot smaller (unless we just have juveniles!).

Tarquin

Sebastian, 

Very nice prep work and wonderful specimens! 

Enjoying this thread a lot. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 24.11.2018 at 12:15 PM, TqB said:

Lovely specimens, I really like the double. A. gracilis is a beautiful species - it doesn't seem to occur in the UK as far as I know, the nearest probably being A. subtenuis which is always a lot smaller (unless we just have juveniles!).

Thank you very much :D I really like them too! And thanks for the additional information! Interesting that such a common species here doesnt occur in the UK.

On 24.11.2018 at 12:58 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Sebastian, 

Very nice prep work and wonderful specimens! 

Enjoying this thread a lot. :) 

Thank you very much :) Means a lot to me!!

Two more:

The first one is 6 cm long and the colors arent bad ...

Be16.thumb.JPG.9813ed581944d1787381e651a2d9fdcf.JPG

And the second one is also quite small with 5 cm length:

Be15.JPG.df063b1fb0be8bac9caeb6500294a18f.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Great thread! Am loving all the wonderful finds and prep work. Your work is superb and an inspiration to me as I just start preparing fossils. 

19 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

Great thread! Am loving all the wonderful finds and prep work. Your work is superb and an inspiration to me as I just start preparing fossils. 

Thanks @Heteromorph :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Want to show another belemnite plate with a 16 cm long belemnite and a 12 cm long one missing the tip.

Be14.JPG.85d6eeeb7dd506ccf248477ceb332bef.JPG

1.JPG.ce3b1f9e3c920d079a838fbcf62f2629.JPG

hint.JPG.47d938c63b04c0bf65ccc8d2c4237add.JPG

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Another fossil I recently finished is this unidentified plate with three bones. I think these are crocodile bones but I am not sure. 

The biggest bone is about 8 cm long.

Here it is in the unprepped condition:

D.thumb.JPG.8f49bdc70598d2a33df2ea228517bd86.JPG

And prepped:

11.thumb.JPG.72785256e14a6409eb89ef993b9cadcd.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Some more pictures:

12.thumb.JPG.67d12bc513f81691fc4eef6e0f1def85.JPG

14.JPG.713e1d7b687969e73048b41714dadb43.JPGKnochen.thumb.JPG.aa2a0e7699547864fe04bdd75b7dd421.JPG

It was quite a hard work for me to prep these bones. I think I spent about 10 hours on it. But in my eyes it was worth every second, because crocodile bones from Holzmaden are much rarer than Ichthyosaur material!

• I found this Informative 7

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I think you are correct.  these look like croc verts.  Nice find.  Nice work.  

The almost forked transverse processes look like croc verts I have from my local Eocene rocks.  

On 27.11.2018 at 7:09 PM, jpc said:

I think you are correct.  these look like croc verts.  Nice find.  Nice work.  

The almost forked transverse processes look like croc verts I have from my local Eocene rocks.  

Thanks for the nice comment and for the ID help @jpc :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

On 29.11.2018 at 12:30 AM, ynot said:

Very nice additions to Your successful prepping.

Thanks Tony :ighappy:

I am actually a bit frustrated at the moment because my sandblasting machine doesn't work satisfiable. So it can last a while until I can prep something ...

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

21 minutes ago, belemniten said:

I am actually a bit frustrated at the moment because my sandblasting machine doesn't work satisfiable. So it can last a while until I can prep something ...

What is your machine doing?  Can we help solve the problem?  

On 27/11/2018 at 5:29 PM, belemniten said:

Some more pictures:

12.thumb.JPG.67d12bc513f81691fc4eef6e0f1def85.JPG

14.JPG.713e1d7b687969e73048b41714dadb43.JPGKnochen.thumb.JPG.aa2a0e7699547864fe04bdd75b7dd421.JPG

It was quite a hard work for me to prep these bones. I think I spent about 10 hours on it. But in my eyes it was worth every second, because crocodile bones from Holzmaden are much rarer than Ichthyosaur material!

Superb work again Sebastian. Feel free to send me the common ichthy fossils :D 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:27 AM, belemniten said:

Another fossil I recently finished is this unidentified plate with three bones. I think these are crocodile bones but I am not sure. 

The biggest bone is about 8 cm long.

Here it is in the unprepped condition:

D.thumb.JPG.8f49bdc70598d2a33df2ea228517bd86.JPG

And prepped:

What are those radiating lines? I suspect it is not fossil or else not something as important as croc bones otherwise you wouldn't have obliterated it!

Love to see this material, even cooler to see it prepped. Similar stuff to what i try and find! 

Is Holzmaden matrix soft or quite hard material?

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

What are those radiating lines? I suspect it is not fossil or else not something as important as croc bones otherwise you wouldn't have obliterated it!

Well, here where i collect it looks like a section of Phylloceras ammonite. Could be totally wrong, and maybe it's not even found there. But certainly looks just like it. 

p.jpg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Why didn't I see this thread earlier? :headscratch:

Amazing fossils and prep work :D :yay-smiley-1:The stuff is simply splendid!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile