T Rex? Please Identify This Tooth

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone,

Can you please identify this tooth. It was found in the Hell Creek Formation And is 0.42 inches long. I think it is T Rex, but can’t be sure. Please Help! Thanks!

-FossilsandScience

EAA5C66A-2925-4B60-AE96-0F2144ED1C04.jpeg

448A56D3-9989-4CF9-82DA-49656F907D4E.jpeg

I'm not positive, but I think Hell Creek might be young enough so that T rex is the only option on something like this.

I would lean towards trex as opposed to a nano due to the shape of the cross section of the tooth. However I would like to see more photos of the tooth and personally don't like when sellers take photos of teeth at the side on angle in the first pic. I don't find it very helpful for ID'ing a tooth :P

dt18-116ertt__44273.1539218722.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Problem; I thought T rex has serrations on the front side. I don't see them here.

Pictures don’t really show the front side of the tooth. Maybe the seller is purposefully trying to hide that the serrations are not there or have worn off. Have had this happen to me before.

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I'm not positive, but I think Hell Creek might be young enough so that T rex is the only option on something like this.

T-Rex and Nanotyrannus are the two Tyrannosaurs from the Hell Creek. It becomes problematic when trying to ID small Tyrannosaur teeth like this. Have to look at the cross section and serration shape.

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Problem; I thought T rex has serrations on the front side. I don't see them here.

true, though there is a lot of feeding wear to the tip. looking at many T-Rex tooth pics I got the impression that serrations on the mesial side can be restricted to the tip.
I guess the only helpful feature of the tooth is the cross section, which is far from compressed.
maybe I am off - still learning all the characteristics ;)

20 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Maybe the seller is purposefully trying to hide that the serrations are not there or have worn off.

I'm probably evidence that it has the potential to devalue the piece. A seller would look at it from that angle.

10 minutes ago, JoeS said:

true, though there is a lot of feeding wear to the tip. looking at many T-Rex tooth pics I got the impression that serrations on the mesial side can be restricted to the tip.
I guess the only helpful feature of the tooth is the cross section, which is far from compressed.
maybe I am off - still learning all the characteristics ;)

I checked some museum photos. It does seem possible that this tooth section is from near the end of the serrations.

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm probably evidence that it has the potential to devalue the piece. A seller would look at it from that angle.

I saw the tooth online at the seller page - was labeled as 'raptor' and he stated it is too difficult to assign a species to these teeth, which is fair

Can we please have a vote - say yes if you think it’s T Rex and no if you think it’s another species. If you say no, please state what species you think it is - if you don’t know what species it is, it’s fine.

30 minutes ago, FossilsandScience said:

Can we please have a vote - say yes if you think it’s T Rex and no if you think it’s another species. If you say no, please state what species you think it is - if you don’t know what species it is, it’s fine.

Can’t be raptor and is too thick for Nano. Definetly Rex

Do you guys think it’s too small for T Rex? If so, could it be archeoraptor, or maybe dakotaraptor?

47 minutes ago, FossilsandScience said:

Do you guys think it’s too small for T Rex?

When the sprouted their first tooth their whole head was probably about this size.

So we all can agree that this tooth is TRex and not Nanotyrannus, Dakotaraptor, nor Archeoraptor. I am presenting my collection at a nearby library and I want to make sure I have ID all of my fossils correctly. Just making sure we all agree it’s TRex