Good way for a beginner to prep

David E.

Been hunting the NSR now for a few years and this is the first time I've found a bunch of bones in matrix.  Was out yesterday with @zoocosmolinaand her husband at a new hunting spot for all of us.  We had an absolute blast!  I found the following and the bones have a "fishy" look to em.  Bones exposed on all 6 sides.  I'd love to expose more to try and figure out what may be encased.  Any recommendations for someone who has never prepped before?  It's about 7 inches long x 4 inches wide x 3.5 inches deep.

IMG_3700 (2).JPG

IMG_3701 (2).JPG

A surgical blade could remove matrix very well, although I recommend using one under magnification. Depending on where you found it and how it is preserved, organic diluted acids ( vinegar or lemon juice works) may remove some matrix. Once you remove most of the matrix, you can use a toothbrush with toothpaste to get the fine grains of dirt off. However, I usually only prepare tiny corals under a microscope, and don't do vertebrate material, so I would wait for an expert to advise you.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Thanks @ynot

These modules from the NSR typically have a soft outer layer with an extremely hard core. Hand tools work well in the soft stuff but it will take a powerful scribe like an ME9100 to remove the harder stuff.

This does look to be pretty fishy.

FYI, I don't think you have several bones there, but instead it's one bone with matrix in all the nooks and crannies. You have a fish braincase. This is a drawing of a shark skull, but you get the general idea.

Fish skull ventral.JPG

I agree with Ptych.  I also think this would be not the best fossil to learn prep on (beyond the initial soft layer).  It is too nice.  Learn on some other fossils and build up to the skill needed to do this guy.  

Archived